Sign in with
Your question

Invisible file paths to D: drive

Last response: in Storage
February 25, 2013 10:03:58 PM

After troubleshooting and then essentially rebuilding my computer, I have now found a slight problem.

I installed a second SSG 60GB onto my Windows 7 64-bit home built system. However, For some reason essentially 20gigs of the drive space is "occupied" by invisible files that I cannot see while exploring it, and the system won't let me reformat to return the space because it is occupied by some process/program. Can anyone help me figure out whats causing this and a resolution?
a c 878 G Storage
February 25, 2013 10:18:58 PM

have you enabled the viewing of hidden and system files?
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2013 5:17:38 PM

I had done that, but I can't see anything actually inside of the folder. That is why I am confused. The only things on my drive are files I have installed, but I'm still missing around 15gigs of space. It's like it is ear marked for something else, but nothing exists there.
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:09:57 PM

I use TuneUp utilities. Essentially what I'm finding is I have a 55.9GB SSD of which only like 33Gigs are available. It can't actually find any files or anything occupying the rest of the space. It shows 22gigs from steam, and 4.4gigs from LoL, and 13.6gigs free
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:11:59 PM

Okay wow. Space sniffer worked, it showed a pagefile size of 15.9gigs on my drive. How can I get rid of it?
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:12:42 PM

Okay wow. Space sniffer worked, it showed a pagefile size of 15.9gigs on my drive. How can I get rid of it?
m
l
a c 878 G Storage
February 27, 2013 9:55:05 PM

Control Panel.
Click System and Security and then click System.
In the Computer Name, Domain, and Workgroup Setting section, click Change Settings.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings in the Performance area.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Change in the Virtual Memory area.
Deselect the Automatically Manage Paging File Size for All Drives option.
From the Drive list, select a hard-disk if you have one to put it on or set the size yourself but its not good to put the pagefile on an SSD.
on a side note, if you have like 16gb or ram you can run without a pagefile. I deleted mine about 2 years ago and havent seen an issue yet.
m
l
!