Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Hybrid Crossfire Capability

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2010 2:33:50 AM

Trying to decide between 2 motherboards. THe Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 or the M4A89TD PRO/USB3. Very similar boards except the latter is 890fx while the former is 890gx. The 890gx has onboard video which is usually unessential for those who add graphics cards on but this one has a "hybrid crossfire" capability which supposedly can run a quasi-crossfire setup between the onboard video and your PCI Graphics card.

This would be nice if it actually worked, from what I've read only certain cards support this. I am planning on buying an ASUS HD5850 Graphics card, which I would assume would work because it is the same brand as the motherboard. I can't seem to find a list of cards that are supported by this Hybrid crossfire mode.

The 890gx board seems to be better all around, but I'm not sure why the 890fx is $50 more expensive.

If the hybrid crossfire won't work I'll get the 890fx (not crosshair) motherboard because the prices is about the same if I buy with a combo.

Just wanted some input.

Best solution

a c 235 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2010 2:47:33 AM

the 5850 does not support hybrid crossfire. Just the old 3450 and 3470. It's a bad concept and I don't know why mobo's still even use the term.

September 23, 2010 1:55:50 PM

So the 890fx for the win?
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2010 2:24:30 PM

why the FX, its more expensive? you can get an 870 mobo and save some more money if you don't plan to ever crossfire

the 890fx and 890gx have two differences.

one is the asus "turbo unlocker" in the FX which sounds rather gimmicky. its basically a software feature to overclock. Most people would prefer to OC in their BIOS menu.

the second is the crossfire set up. with a single card both mobo run in PCI-E 2.0 x 16. in crossfire the FX remains at that speed while the GX drops to x8. hence the price difference. Even with the ATI 5850 in crossfire, you would not see a difference.

September 23, 2010 4:54:23 PM

I like having the option to buy an additional 5850 a couple years down the road when I may need more graphical power and when the 5850 card is around ~$100.

You're saying there would be no difference when crossfiring the 5850 between the 890gx & 890fx?

The price difference is only $25 with newegg combos and shipping prices. So I just figured the 890fx was the best board available now.

I was looking at the 870 evo but I'd like to have crossfire as an option.
September 23, 2010 5:02:46 PM

So is the x16 crossfire support the only thing that makes the 890fx "better". I just figured I didn't need the onboard video of the 890gx, plus the 890fx supports DDR3 1600 RAM.
September 23, 2010 6:49:04 PM

Ok well I'm going with the M4A89TD, but Now i'm having a hard time finding compatible RAM. Corsair doesn't even list the M4A89TD on their configurator, they only list the M4A89GTD. Asus says that some memory might be compatible even if its not on their QVL... argh

Just trying to find some good DDR3 1600 Memory with 7 or 8 Latency. preferably from Kingston or Corsair.
September 23, 2010 7:03:44 PM

I haven't heard anything good about GSkill lately, in fact some expert advisors from some other forums have said to avoid Gskill at the moment as they've been having some quality problems recently. I've always used kingston, but the corsair dominator would match my corsair PSU.

Is PNY making good product now? I'm surprised to see editor's choice on that memory. Whenver I think PNY I always think wal-mart, but that could be empty bias on my part.
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2010 7:10:30 PM

ive yet to hear g-skill having any issue, they have very good quality control but receiving a bad batch is always possible. PNY is a fine company, I would have no issue using their products. I know OCZ has had issue with a recent batch of memory, I know that first hand.

just like corsair PSU (and just about all other brands), all the names you see are just brands. They all purchase their RAM from the same handful of suppliers.
September 23, 2010 10:42:56 PM

Best answer selected by NeoMishMoo.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2010 10:46:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!