8800GTS 640MB for Physx with GTX460?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Hi,
Thanks for everyones help before:). I got a regular EVGA GTX460 768MB. Performance jump is absolution ridiculous. It has graphics settings i haven't seen before and is just outstanding. It maxes out all my games now with ease. Modern Warfare 2 (which I play sometimes)...is maxed out completely at 1080p with Nvidia control panel settings jacked up the absolute max, 32x AA, 16xAF, 8x supersampling...etc. Still gives me like 50fps. Now, here comes my question. Assuming I don't care about heat and power consumption. If I were to place my old Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 640MB (Factory Overclocked) as a physx processer. Would it increase performance?...If so then how much would you suppose?. In addition, if I were to use it, I would just stick into the next PCI slot and then just set it as my physx processor in Nvidia Control Panel?

Thanks for any help.

(Just wondering I can still pu the 8800 to good use, sell it, or stick it in my server for the heck of it.

Solution
To merge my post with the chart that Wolf posted I'll say the following. No dedicated card is "40FPS" number. The one card you have has to do all the work, graphics and physx. As you use the better and better cards more physx work is done by the add in card allowing the GPU to handle less physx and more graphics. This happens until you hit the GTS250/GTX260 where all of the physx processing can be handled by the add in card. (the "60FPS" number I throw out) You can get the same "add in card" benefits if you turn off PhysX, but of course the game won't look as good. It should tell you however what is possible if you have a good add in card.

Adding in the better cards did provide an 80% increase in frame rates. Your GTS card is a...
If you're satisfy with your PC performance then stay with your current GTX460.
Yes, you can add 8800GTS as PhysX card and get some performance increase.
If i were you, i would sell your 8800GTS, i don't like lots of heat inside my case. :)

I doubt the 8800GT would eat a lot of power. It's not that efficient, true, but PhysX isn't super demanding either. Generally, anyway. Most of the time my GT240's usage is quite low with PhysX games on high but I don't know how badly it effects FPS on a single 460. I'd say it's worth it if you have a case with decent cooling and PSU.

4745454b

Titan
As I understand it there will be no increase. Lets say your getting 50FPS now. If you turned on the PhysX effects with no dedicated card, your GPU will be handling GPU + PhysX duties at the same time so your frame rates will go down. No clue how much, lets say you'll get 40FPS now. By adding a dedicated PhysX card your main GPU will no longer have to do both and will now give you those 50FPS back. What you will get is the extra particle effects that PhysX provides making things look better.

I suppose you'll see a boost if you are trying to use PhysX right now on your single card. In this case your card won't have to do it anymore and your FPS will go up to 60. (remember, just picking numbers out of the air.) Also keep in mind that there are few games that need a dedicated card. Look at the list on SLIzone to see if you even play them.

Dedicated PhysX card does help
Batman%20PxDed%202560.png

wh3resmycar: Yes, and it does eat power - my point is that highest power usage is under full load. It will not be under full load.

4745454b

Titan
To merge my post with the chart that Wolf posted I'll say the following. No dedicated card is "40FPS" number. The one card you have has to do all the work, graphics and physx. As you use the better and better cards more physx work is done by the add in card allowing the GPU to handle less physx and more graphics. This happens until you hit the GTS250/GTX260 where all of the physx processing can be handled by the add in card. (the "60FPS" number I throw out) You can get the same "add in card" benefits if you turn off PhysX, but of course the game won't look as good. It should tell you however what is possible if you have a good add in card.

Adding in the better cards did provide an 80% increase in frame rates. Your GTS card is a bit weaker then the 9600GT, so assuming all things being linear your gains should be around 65%. This is assuming you have PhysX enabled already, and at high. If you haven't enabled them yet at all you should see no speed gains, but you'll get the increased particle effects.

Solution

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Thanks for all the replies. I looked at the list, and unfortunately barely any games support physx...not crysis, not MW2...not COH...! So i am guessing its pretty much useless to put it back in. However, can it make ingame physics and effects/particles look better?...not Nvidia Physx but just regular ingames physics and particles? Maybe it can give me some benefit.

Nope, it will only see usage in PhysX accelerated games. Some of the PhysX games really are worth playing, and in those cases you might consider plugging the card in, but you're right the list is small which is why most people advise to just avoid it.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Yeah I will, if I ever do buy a physx accelerated game, i'll just plug it in...after all...its just powering down the machine, opening it, and shoving the card in lol.

Edit: I actually took a good look at my temperatures...rubbed my eyes...and realized, this card idles 13 Degrees Celcius Cooler and runs like 20 Degrees Celcius cooler under load then my old 8800...not just that but other hardware in my system dropped in temps. My MB idles at 38 Degrees when before it was 46 Degrees and my CPU which idles at 32-35C during summer is now idling at 27 Celsius....thats impressive, I am definitely not putting the other card back in.

I bet you actually lie awake at night wishing you could play Crazy Machines or PT Boats! [:mousemonkey] *runs away*

4745454b

Titan
Its funny you mention those games because from what I've heard PT is very pretty with good PhysX effects and Crazy machines is a lot of fun if you like that kind of game. (which I don't.) Also from what I hear the only other games worth it are those levels in UT3, City of heros/villians, and the game Batman:AA.

I thought UT3 was meh and Batman AA was less fun than having my eyeballs scooped out with a rusty spoon but I may be missing something.

4745454b

Titan
I've never played any of the games, but from what I've seen none of them are anything I'd enjoy.

I would like to point out once again that Nvidia has done this all wrong. If they wanted PhysX to catch on they need to shove it down our throats, not restrict it so much that there are hardly any games out that support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.