Help! Can't install Unreal Tournament 2004 in Linux

Hey,

I just downloaded the Linux demo of Unreal Tournament 2004, but I can't seem
to figure out how to install it. The file name is
ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run.bz2.run

I've tried double clicking on the file and even going to a terminal window,
changing to the directory it's in and typing ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run.bz2,
hoping that was an executable file.

Nothing has worked so far. Might someone have some expertise in this area?

I'm running a newly installed copy of Mandrake 10.1.

Many thanks,

Jeff
3 answers Last reply
More about help install unreal tournament 2004 linux
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Jeff Ingram wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I just downloaded the Linux demo of Unreal Tournament 2004, but I can't seem
    > to figure out how to install it. The file name is
    > ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run.bz2.run
    >
    > I've tried double clicking on the file and even going to a terminal window,
    > changing to the directory it's in and typing ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run.bz2,
    > hoping that was an executable file.
    >
    > Nothing has worked so far. Might someone have some expertise in this area?
    >
    > I'm running a newly installed copy of Mandrake 10.1.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    Ver 3120? That's not the most recent. V3334 from
    http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/downloads.php

    Grab that, then come back if you still have problems.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > I just downloaded the Linux demo of Unreal Tournament 2004, but I can't seem
    > to figure out how to install it. The file name is
    > ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run.bz2.run
    >
    > I've tried double clicking on the file and even going to a terminal window,
    > changing to the directory it's in and typing ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run.bz2,
    > hoping that was an executable file.

    "run.bz2.run" - seems the browser messed up the extension. Use the
    "file" utitilty to check what type it really is:
    $ file ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run.bz2

    If it says something like "bzip2 compressed data" you first have to run
    bunzip <filename> which uncompresses it, if it says "gzip compressed"
    run gunzip instead (but rename it to .gz first).
    Then or if file reports something like "shell script" just run it, i.e.

    -Thomas
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Try to login as root first and then run the script, it may want to install
    files under /usr/ or /usr/local, where a normal user has no write access.

    On my box (debian), I would type
    drfish@zuhause: su -

    root@zuhause: cd bla (bla is the path to the directory where you saved the
    file)