400$ to spend on upgrading my gaming pc

thebucs2004

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Hi all, I've run into a little bit of money recently and I've decided to spend it upgrading my computer. When I first got my computer a couple years ago I could generally run just about everything on ultra with great fps, but some of the recent games I've played (WoW since the new patch, the witcher, new vegas, black ops) I had to drop settings quite a bit to keep it from being choppy. I'm a bit of a tight wad and figured black friday approaching, now would be the best time to buy some new parts.

My current specs are as follows

Q6600 @ 3.6GHz
p5q mobo
Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Performance 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2
500 gb 7200 rpm hd
ati 4850HD 1gig
Windows ultimate 64 bit

I was thinking GPU was part of the problem since It's getting pretty old at this point, but I wasn't sure if it was worth getting one of those fancy solid state HDs, or upgrading to dd3 ram or even getting an i7. I don't want to spend anymore then 400$ but of course less would be better, want to get the best bang for my buck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Solution

I don't see how he needs anything close to a 1000 wat P.S. for his system. That is a waste of $$. My system runs fine on a quality 650 watt P.S.

I agree with the GPU upgrade. That will cost you half of your allotted budget, but considering your system would require a new mobo if you wanted to upgrade memory or CPU I don't see that as a viable option to increase gaming perf.
Sure, your system is getting a little long in the tooth but with a limit of $400 the best single upgrade you can make is the graphics card. You didn't say what resolution you game at but I would look for a GTX470... ( I always like a little extra v-ram ).... An over clocked GTX460- gigabyte or sparkle... ( 1gig ) a 5850......... that's about it. You probable won't get a high jump in FPS but you'll get better ( smoother ) playability.

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004

I don't see how he needs anything close to a 1000 wat P.S. for his system. That is a waste of $$. My system runs fine on a quality 650 watt P.S.

I agree with the GPU upgrade. That will cost you half of your allotted budget, but considering your system would require a new mobo if you wanted to upgrade memory or CPU I don't see that as a viable option to increase gaming perf.

Solution

thebucs2004

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for a good GPU to replace mine with...but one question, why would I need to upgrade my mobo if I wanted to upgrade my memory btw?

thebucs2004

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Hey firebird thanks for the response, so my P5Q does support crossfire? It's not deluxe or anything (forgive my lack of knowledge of my own system, my roommate built my computer but I no longer have contact with him.) And it doesn't support DDR3?