Samsung 840 Pro not recognized (HP Pavilion a530e)

harcha

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion a530e. I installed a PCI card for internal SATA, and that works perfectly with a SATA western digital 1TB hard drive that I had purchased a couple of years ago.

I decided to give the Samsung 840 Pro a try, and I installed that on the system. I simply transferred the SATA cables from the old to the new HW disk.

When the box is booted up, I see a note about the SATA controller (just like before) but nothing else (for the old disk it displays the HDD size). So clearly the BIOS doesn't seem to recognize the new disk.

I have been looking around the web for some answers but haven't found a clear next step. I am hoping to get suggestions from folks on this forum.

Thanks!

SN.

You have a very old AMD motherboard with a very old NVIDIA chipset that does not support modern 3rd generation solid state drives. You have already found out the ssd will not work with an old PCI card. In addition there is no PCI-e slot on the board for a PCI-e card that would work with a modern ssd.

Just out of curiosity, what operating system are you using? Microsoft Windows 7 was the first OS that supported ssd's.