Cpu's Binned a 2nd Time by Custom Build Companies?

Barbarossa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
First, let me state I'm not accusing anybody of anything. The thought occurred to me; I have no evidence to substantiate that this is happening either intentionally or unintentionally.

While looking at Cyberpower's system configurator I noticed they have the option to have the system "factory overclocked" by the company. Huh... What happens to the processors that fail the companies post assembly benchmarks when overclocked? Cpu's of the same model do vary in their clock-ability. What happens to the ones that don't meet the desired overclocked speed? Surely they are not thrown out. Do they go back on the shelf, randomly later selected for a non oc'ed system? Are they deliberately placed on a different shelf for systems that have not requested "factory overclocking"? Is a Cpu from custom build company that offers "factory overclocking" less likely to have overclocking potential if you don't select their "factory overclocking"?

Again, not accusing anybody, but the thought occurred to me.

SiRcivic27

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
it seems that your logic is plausible. However, I how hope that once they do your build you get the products selected. While you may select 10% O.C. if it can only pull of 9% its all you would have gotten from the system yourself so the parts should be yours. If there is a, low O.C. shelf for customers who want to O.C. their own system that would truly devalue the company in my eyes.

Cyber power's most extreme OC they offer is only 20%, thats not too much for most systems, a 20% OC on an i7 950(3.06GHz) only brings it to ~3.67GHz, thats not a very extreme OC, and almost all chips should be able to do that. Very few chips would fail to get to that level, and even fewer would fail to hit 10%(~3.37GHz) with decent cooling.