500gb+80gb SSD OR 500gb+500gb=1TB

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Ok so i have a 500gb seagate that i got for free (not sure if it works, first boot and it said "BOOTMGR missing", i reloaded windows and it boots now thats all i know)atm and keep in mind that my cpu and ram is 150$ and i have about 15$ and i got to get the money before March 19th. Anyways i can either keep the 500gb seagate,thats a risk, and buy a 80gb SSD to keep windows on, or Keep the seagate and buy another 500gb HDD to make a 1TB, or keep the 60$ that i was gonna spend and just keep the 500gb seagate, thats a risk im taking there, and put it toward my cpu and ram.

I actually already ordered the other 500gb but i can return it, i heard HDD's had a 50/50 chance on a good one, this new HDD has a 2yr warranty. The seagate that was damaged in the beggining when it wouldnt boot,it is a chance just to keep it solo not knowing if it worked, but i also need the money pretty bad. This will be a big gaming computer, my console pretty much.

Solution
Physical damaged no, but it can work just fine if none major parts are broken. HDD's can take some beating and lose data but can work fine afterwards (of course there is a risk)
I would put it towards the cpu and ram

The HDD is working just fine, its just that when you put in a new HDD and try to boot form it, the boot manager is going to be on your old drive which you likely removed so it won't boot until you either re install windows (which recreates the bootmanager) or recreate the boot manger via another tool

I would peg HDD failure rates at about 1/7 or 1/8.

If you already bought another one then just keep it then or try and resell it

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

So if it passes these test which do you think i should then, keep it solo and save, add the other 500gb, or add a 80gb SSD

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

I didnt replae the drive i was given a entire computer,the owner said she dropped on the floor when she was carrying it, i plugged it up and turned it on and i got the BOOTMGR missing, i didnt mess around with anything. So, does that mean something is broke in it like some bad sectors or something?

Could be bad sectors then assuming the computer was working before, damaged bootmanager section (HDD's suck at surviving falls)

I once had to bring my comp back from overseas and the HDD got damaged and suffered a few bad sectors and did not boot anymore. I reformatted and reinstalled and the drive has been running fine for about 7 years.

80gb SSD is a good buy but will only fit windows + a few apps
Depends if you need fast storage or more storage

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
so you think that the seagate being dropped and all and missing bootmgr on first boot could just be fixed but a reformat and reinstalling windows, if it can be fixed then yes i would put the money toward the cpu and ram, since i need 150 and i got 15. But is there any certain test or tricks i can do to know absolute that the HDD isnt messed up.

fkr

Splendid
stickman is correct. I have an external that has failed twice but it continues to work after reformatting. needless to say I do not keep anything important on it anymore. If is passes the seatools test i would trust it personally. all hdd's have an inherent risk with them and I would bet you would be fine with yours