Switching HD on my new Vaio won't work.

skakaiser

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I recently purchased a new Sony Vaio SVS151290X laptop and wanted to just use my old SSD (windows 7) rather than the new HD (windows 8) it came with. Trying to boot with the BIOS set in legacy mode just brings about a blue screen of death. My SSD works fine on my old laptops, so I wonder if this is a windows 8 problem. Are there any ways I can change the BIOS to boot my old SSD. I have no desire to go to windows 8.

Windows 7 won't co-operate with you when you move it from one motherboard to a different one. It simply will not boot when you do that.

If you want to run Windows 7 on your new Vaio, you will have to wipe the SSD and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 on it from a Microsoft DVD.

However, you should first check that Windows 7 drivers are available for your new Vaio model - don't take it for granted that they are. Check the Sony website that serves your country: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

skakaiser

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Thank you! Yep my model is compatible with my windows 7 64 bit. Hmm I don't really like the idea of having to completely restart anew but would it be possible to create a backup image, put a clean install of windows 7 on my SSD on my new viao, and then do a restore using that backed up image?