Hellbender name origin

Someone was asking a while back about why all the vehicles in UT2004
were named after animals except the Hellbender (and now presumably the
SPMA). Turns out that there actually is a species of salamander named
``Hellbender''.

http://tinyurl.com/5mh59

"Dekaritae" <dekaritae@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Someone was asking a while back about why all the vehicles in UT2004
> were named after animals except the Hellbender (and now presumably the
> SPMA). Turns out that there actually is a species of salamander named
> ``Hellbender''.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5mh59

Paladin -

"Dekaritae" <dekaritae@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Someone was asking a while back about why all the vehicles in UT2004
> were named after animals except the Hellbender (and now presumably the
> SPMA). Turns out that there actually is a species of salamander named
> ``Hellbender''.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5mh59

I believe that the vehicles are named after their most outstanding
characteristic, be it biblical, animal, or otherwise. All meanings are
taken from www.wikipedia.org.

Paladin -
A paladin is the prototypical "knight in shining armour," a hero of
sterling character and courage, who rights wrongs and defends the weak
and oppressed.

Hellbender -
The common name of Salamanders is applied to approximately 350 amphibian
vertebrates with slender bodies, short legs, and long tails (order
Caudata or Urodela).

Leviathan -
Referred to in passing in the Old Testament (Psalms 74:13-14; Job 41;
Isaiah 27:1), probably referring to crocodile or whale. The word
leviathan has become synonymous with any large monster or creature.

Scorpion -
Metasoma: The tail of the scorpion, comprised of 5 segments, the last
contains the anus of the scorpion and bears the telson (the sting) which
comprises of the vesicle which holds a pair of venom glands, and the
hypodermic aculeus.

Manta -
The manta ray or giant manta is the largest of the ray fish, ranging up
to eight meters (25 ft) across and weighing up 3,000 kg (3 tons). It
ranges throughout the tropical seas of the world, typically around coral
reefs. Black above and white below, with distinctive "horns" on either
side of its broad head, the manta is a prized sighting by scuba divers.

Goliath -
Goliath (???? "Passage; revolution", Standard Hebrew Golyat, Tiberian
Hebrew Golya?) was a Philistine warrior that lived in the 11th century
BCE. He hailed from Gath, one of five ancient city states in Philistia.

Raptor -
A bird of prey or raptor is a bird that hunts its food, especially one
that preys on mammals or other birds.

SPMA -
Self-Propelled Mobile Artillery

Cicada -
Male cicadas have loud noisemakers called "tymbals" on their sides.
Their "singing" is actually a kind of stridulation: they vibrate these
membranes with strong muscles; their body serves as a resonance body
greatly amplifying the sound. Some cicadas produce sounds louder than
100 dB! (This amazing sound has frequently inspired haiku poets in Japan
to write about them.) They modulate their noise by wiggling their
abdomens toward and away from the tree that they are on.

Deanjl wrote:
> "Dekaritae" <dekaritae@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Someone was asking a while back about why all the vehicles in UT2004
>>were named after animals except the Hellbender (and now presumably the
>>SPMA). Turns out that there actually is a species of salamander named
>>``Hellbender''.
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/5mh59
>
> Paladin -

There is (was) a species of Trilobita given the name "Paladin". This is
rather fitting, as the primary attribute of both Paladins is a strong
shield.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/geosurvey/geo_fact/geo_f05.htm
(See under "MISSISSIPPIAN TRILOBITES")

> There is (was) a species of Trilobita given the name "Paladin". This
is
> rather fitting, as the primary attribute of both Paladins is a strong
> shield.

No matter where the name came from, it still conveys the attribute of
strength and protection. Myself - I love the attention to detail the
development team have put into the naming. It'd be easy to come up with
a mouthful of acronyms but they went with something that took some
research and thought. Good on them and good on you for doing your own
research. :)

Sorry for the double post as well, I accidentally hit Ctrl + Enter.