Sign in with
Your question

Can't get new HDTV setup as 3rd display w/ 5830

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2010 6:56:16 AM

Hello, I am running 2 22' monitors with extended desktop and I just got a 42 inch vizio that's only 720p but still worth using and I am completely unable to use all 3 at the same time, I am only able to disable the secondary display and setup the hdtv to the secondary, I thought with eyefinity you could use 3 displays, I have a radeon 5830 that has 2 dvi inputs and 1 hdmi and 1 other thing I don't know what it is but if someone knows let me know, why would it be for audio if hdmi can do that?

Anyway I am running 10.9 drivers and don't see anything in CCC that allows me to add a third display. If anyone can help me please let me know.

Thanks
a c 358 U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 5:58:55 PM

Eyefinity requires the use of the DisplayPort. You cannot get 3 working displays without using the DisplayPort.

If neither of your monitors have a DisplayPort connection, then you need to buy an Active DisplayPort Adaptor. Using a passive adaptor will not work.
m
l
September 23, 2010 11:53:23 PM

Why am I not able to hook up 3 monitors? I have 2 monitors that are dvi and 1 tv that is hdmi all 3 plugged into my video card why would I need anything else? I am able to get them all to work just not all 3 at the same time.
m
l
September 24, 2010 3:52:12 AM

If there is absolutely 100% something that I need to have all 3 displays working at the same time how much does it cost and where can I get it?
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 5:04:26 AM

This device should do the trick which is an Active DisplayPort Adaptor to the DVI port, however it has not been released yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004071ZX0/ref=pd_lpo_...

You need to research technology you do not understand. Assuming how it works simply costs you time and money in the long run.
m
l
September 26, 2010 4:42:36 AM

So then what the hell is eyefinity? If this is true and I have to waste extra money getting three monitors to work I am throwing my video card out my window and going nvidia. Are you sure you know what you are talking about? I have seen a lot of people with 3 monitors not ever mentioning needing anything else other then a radeon 5xxx card.
m
l
September 26, 2010 10:32:36 PM

Is this how it is for the5830 only?
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 10:41:21 PM

vexun11 said:
Is this how it is for the5830 only?

Eyefinity is only possible on the 5xxx cards if Displayport is used, if you don't like and can't handle that then direct your annoyance at ATi for using open source hardware that has no standardisation.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
September 27, 2010 2:27:06 AM

See my response....

Quote:

You need to research technology you do not understand. Assuming how it works simply costs you time and money in the long run.
m
l
September 28, 2010 1:23:18 AM

What is the most used display port the most popular
m
l
September 28, 2010 3:41:11 AM

That's crazy because of all the videos of people gaming with 3 or 6 monitors making it look so simple.
m
l
October 8, 2010 2:40:36 AM

Okay, I am getting ready to order a display port but I need a display port that goes directly to hdmi because my hdtv has hdmi only and I don't have a converter

What do I need to get
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
October 8, 2010 2:57:04 AM

vexun11 said:
Okay, I am getting ready to order a display port but I need a display port that goes directly to hdmi because my hdtv has hdmi only and I don't have a converter

What do I need to get

From my previous post in this thread....

Quote:
This device should do the trick which is an Active DisplayPort Adaptor to the DVI port, however it has not been released yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B [...] XQMWYFNR7E

The adapter is now available for purchase.... $30 + free shipping
m
l
!