My custom system, need pointers

going to be making a new gaming system pretty soon here to replace my laptop that is starting to show its age. i don't do any video editing or anything with videos at all really, just gaming. here's what i have so far:

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B

RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS MS227N Glossy Piano-Black / White 22" 2ms Ring Stand & Ergo-Fit Widescreen LCD Monitor

EVGA 01G-P3-1370-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

GIGABYTE GK-K6800 Glossy Black USB Wired Standard Professional Multimedia Keyboard

Patriot Viper II Sector 5 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PVV34G1333LLK

ASRock P45X3 Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80580Q8400

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

Things i'd like to know:
-my mobo, processor and ram combo, do i need an i5-750 or is the q8400 more than enough for gaming. is the mobo ok, i don't know mobos well at all. is my RAM compatible and the best bang for the buck.
-are there any components in my build that have a better replacement without adding much cost.
-would like to stick with intel/nvidia, i know them both, have used them, have overclocked them and trust them. would possibly consider an amd/ati combo if the performance is truly that much better or the cost is a lot less. don't want to go any lower than a gtx 460, so i'd have to switch to a hd 5850.
-is my system a good deal for the cost, or is there room for improvement.
-any other general recommendations.
2 answers Last reply
More about custom system pointers
  1. Ouch no one bulds with LGA 775 for a fresh build these days and think some articles u need to read up to refresh your h/w knowledge

Best Gaming CPUs For The Money
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclock,2772.html

HD6K: single/CF review (no to HD 5850)
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-6850-renewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/8
  2. Most of the technology you've selected is last generation, and about to become 2 generations old which really isn't recommended. That will work for gaming right now, but I don't know how long it's going to remain relevant.

If you could post in the format found in the How to Ask for New Build Advice thread, it would be easier to make recommendations for you. Some of the most important questions include: budget, resolution you'll be gaming at.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems