Interesting Problem

tennisace2006

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am having some issues with the computer I built about 3 years ago. Here are the hardware components:

Gigabyte P35-DS4
Intel E6750 (running at 3.4GHz)
4GB Patriot Extreme performance DDR2
GTX275 co-op GTS250
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Logitech 5500z Speakers
Windows 7 Enterprise

The issue I am having recently occurred when I tried to play the new Call of Duty: Black Ops. After I installed the game and played for a little while, I noticed that the screen would freeze up for a few seconds, especially when being fired upon. This was annoying and my rig has never had a problem with any program running on max settings.

The first thing I did was check the drivers for updates. There was an update for my video card, so I installed it. The next thing I know, any time my computer is under stress, the audio sounds TERRIBLE. It sounds like the computer is lagging with the sound and it becomes almost scratchy (not exactly sure how to describe it). The graphics lag during any game and even moving a web browsing window around fast will cause the audio problem.

I tried a few more things and eventually decided that it was time to re-install Windows 7. However, after doing this, I am still having issues with the sound whenever my PC is under stress (anything from a video game to re-sizing a window fast)

One note: I have used this computer under some heavy loads (5-10 programs open, including a game and iTunes) and I am using the on-board audio. This has never been a problem before so I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

If anyone has any ideas on what might be happening, the help is greatly appreciated!

-Jason

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
it sound like a classic case of overheating. If you used your PC under load for 3 yrs, sonthings bound to go! try using headphones in a different port, and if the problem goes away, then the software is not to blame! try using different speakers as well. try to lower the temp of ur pc by getting ur fan speed up, or cleaning the dust out!
the last thing i can think of is get a new soundcard, and see if that helps!

hope this helps!

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Considering you've reinstalled windows 7, I'd guess it's some sort of issue with either heat, or the motherboard audio is just faulty.

Clean out your computer with a can of compressed air. download Speedfan/HWMonitor. It could be an issue with your motherboard chip set getting really hot.

Honestly Ive never heard of something like this. If it persists maybe consider an inexpensive soundcard. It might help.

tennisace2006

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I didn't think about the overheating issue, thanks guys. I tried cleaning out the case and re-seeding the video card. The temps are around 40C - 50C. The issue still persists but I believe it is correlated to the video card. The computer now crashes when trying to load any video games or anything graphic intensive.

I think the audio problem was occurring when the computer was stressed with the video application. Which leads me to believe it is a graphics card issue.

I'm not sure what else to do besides reinstalling drivers...

cmcghee358

Distinguished
What you are explaining also could be a PSU issue. THink of this, when you're idle the video card isn't asking for alot of power. But when you load a game, the video card places a higher demand on the PSU. Sounds like the PSU isn't delivering the power and crashing the system.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Actually I have a GTS250 also and I had the same pause issues when I updated to the new nVidia driver (260.##). I went back to the 258.## driver and it seemed to fix it. I really thought my video card was going, but in checking the Window 7 logs - there were errors for the driver .dll.

I think the new driver somehow doesn't like the 250's. (I have Win7 Ult 64-bit)

tennisace2006

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Greetings everyone, here is a status update because I am still having issues.

I decided to buy a new CPU because my computer eventually crashed and wouldn't boot at all. I installed the new CPU and it booted up well. The temps were average, a little higher on the GPU and when I tried to load a game, it crashed again!

I rebooted and looked at the speedfan application more carefully. The 12v rail was running at more than 16v and the rest were off by the same margin! I tried swapping to my old gpu and old psu and this problem still persists.

ALSO, I almost forgot, the system speaker puts out a flat tone the entire time the computer is running. I took it off to spare my ears, but I know that something is wrong there.

Any insight on these issues / troubleshooting is greatly appreciated!

Jason

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Maybe its ur mobo? heat or an abnormal amount of wats cld hav damaged ur mobo... hav u tried starting windows in safe mode? this should test all ur drivers and software and norraw the problem down to hardware.