What makes this HIS card cheaper than the XFX?

xnerdamoli

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
HIS Radeon HD 5970
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161335

or

XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150460

Seriously, why is it that the XFX has the same exact specs yet is so much more expensive? As a matter of fact, look at all of the brands listed in Newegg's 5970 isle. I seriously doubt the HIS is made so badly that the XFX is just worth throwing more money at it. Is the "Black edition" making it something exclusive where brand tag rarity causes price gouge?

I'd like to hear from someone who has experienced any of the more expensive versions of the card as well as the cheaper-end ones. There used to be one from sapphire up that was about the HIS's price range (599 I believe) as well. I'd like personal experience to enlighten me before I make my purchase.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Well, HIS is notoriously known for pretty bad customer support. That's always bad for a company dealing with products as fragile as graphics cards. I personally would not buy from HIS, but that's just me.

And by simply reading the feedback on that card, it seems that the HIS cards have serious heat issues. Reference cooler or not, that thing is getting beat down by heat complaints.

On the other hand, XFX is the polar opposite of what HIS. Great customer support, great warranties, and overall great card ratings. The Black Editions are known for their overclocking abilities and I don't think they would slouch on an HD5970. And if you skim through the feedback on the card, the people complaining really don't know what the heck they're talking about.

xnerdamoli

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010

If you keep reading through the XFX reviews, there's a ton in there about heat issues as well. So, heat really isn't my concern with this card. It's a powerful mofo--I expect it to be hot and I would expect to crank fans. So, comparing heat complaints alone isn't really valid evidence since both have several complaints listed back in the history of customer reviews. I'm sort of hoping someone had the same thought I had and had the ability to test the theory out.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Well, then go for the HIS card. I'm not trying to sway you to buy the Black Edition because it simply isn't worth it. If you can find a more decent manufacturer than HIS selling the HD5970 for around the same price, then get it. If not, you can try the HIS card. The Black Edition only offers the overvolt software and warranty over HIS. Another reason why it is more expensive is because it the tacked on "limited" title. And I'm not even sure if it applies to the 2GB version.