Sign in with
Your question

A rather annoying problem.

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2011 4:25:22 PM

hello again fellow TH users.

any one got a fix for this problem?

I have a CM 430 elite case (one without a side window, but 2 14cm side fan slots, and has 2 12cm fan slots top side.)
and a Zalman CNPS9900NT on an asus p5kpl/1600 mobo, so the chips quite high

my problem, is that the cooler sits to close to the rear top fan slot and the top side fan slot.. rendering a massive 2 hole fan slots unusable. :( 

now I like the cooler, but its a bit big. Iv done some measuring and i need to take off about 2CM off the top and about 1.4cm off the side ( ERM..looking at it from the front of the case) but i cant do this due to the fan being in the way so i figure its new cooler time :(  as i don't want to fork out for another new case.

so im looking for a cooler with these dimensions:

Up to:
14cm high (complete hight off the mobo)
9/10cm (bottom to top, from north bridge side to top of the case, as if it was mounted)
9/10cm (front to back)

All-so ideally, due to the zalman blowing front to back it isn't passively cooling the NB which gets rather toasty so im thinking of a "top down" cooler. Other then stock coolers, any one got any nice ideas?

links or names would be nice, and im not looking to spend allot...maybe £30 tops.

cheers for reading

More about : annoying problem

February 9, 2011 6:24:48 PM

Personally, I have the Zalman CNPS9900NT and I would rather get a new case than lose it. I have seen cooler comparisons that show it near the top and others that show it near the bottom, but I have seen personally that it can work really well with adequate airflow. Plus it just looks good, it's monstrous. :p 

Can you not find a decent case on sale? I found the Antec DF-30 on for $90 and that's in Canadian Dollars!
Related resources
February 9, 2011 7:12:59 PM

No we don't have a Newegg price like supplier, we pay in pounds what you pay in dollars, damn Newegg. :fou: 
February 9, 2011 7:51:59 PM

aha... this case has been a hassle but it was 34 pounds. which is what i was looking to spend, i have been looking at low profile fans, but alot of them say they struggle with quad cores, my CPU is a core 2 quad Q8200, not the most powerfull but its over clocked to 2.81, limited to the asus bios OC function, and im happy with it.. maybe if i could reach 3ghz but meh. i will look into another case. and yes im from the UK...probably the best site i use is Ebuyer.com. newegg is awesome. i jsut wish i lived in the Us to use it without customs charges and outrageous postage
February 9, 2011 7:54:32 PM

davcon said:
Try a CM Hyper 212+ - 120 x 79.7 x 158.5 mm (L x W x H)
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...
As you can see CM has a V8 in your case.
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/product/2989/gal...
Btw the 212+ is better then a V8.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/245376
Smaller but better then the stock cooler
CM Hyper TX3 - 90 x 51 x 139 mm
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/195684

iv seen that picture. its been photo shopped. and that would still leave me with....half a MM if that for the second top fan and not enough room for the second side fan
February 9, 2011 8:04:40 PM

if the cooler i have really is as good as people think then maybe another case. /sigh.
took me a week to choose this one lol. maybe one with ALOT better cable management, Iv modded this one...slightly, just a few cuts here and there and took the inner metal mesh off the front fan which has really lowered fan noise =D

if i go towards a new case, then prefferences are bottom mounted psu...and about an inch or so between the top of the motherboard and the roof so i can get some fans up in there. so full ATX or....what ever the size below that is..i think what im using atm is a midi...i dono
February 9, 2011 8:09:40 PM

Get the 912 PLUS, its a really nice case.

Doubt you'll get a decent full size for that money, the 912+ is a decent mid tower with good cable management.
February 9, 2011 8:45:35 PM

yeah looks that way.

its a shame. the CM 430 what i have has 3 14cm fan slots and 4 12cm fan slot...iv not seen antoher case with 7 fan holes. i didnt realise this one had seven till i got it out of the box

How loud is the Corsair H50-1? iv heard some people whine about the pump being noisy and others saying its so quite it absorbed sound

FYI
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-xclio-256-colour-l...

Are brilliant.
February 9, 2011 9:01:07 PM

ohh i forgot to mention. im due a xfx 750I mobo....i know i know bad choice. but meh. I had one (and OFC had to RMA it back to Us of A and im still waiting abit over a month now for a replacment or a refund) and it sits the zalman about...5mm further forward which means its touching the top fan thats allready installed, it fits, but like i said it touches the other fan caseing, so i really am wondering, either a new case or a new cooler... :( 
February 10, 2011 9:35:31 AM

Confusedracoon said:
yeah looks that way.

its a shame. the CM 430 what i have has 3 14cm fan slots and 4 12cm fan slot...iv not seen antoher case with 7 fan holes. i didnt realise this one had seven till i got it out of the box

How loud is the Corsair H50-1? iv heard some people whine about the pump being noisy and others saying its so quite it absorbed sound

FYI
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-xclio-256-colour-l...

Are brilliant.

Its usually the fan I hear that makes all the noise on the H50 but that can be changed anyway.

The amount of fans really don't matter, its more about the free space inside that allows the air to flow.

There are no noise ratings for those fans but I thought I had quiet fans until I got the Enermax.

The decision is yours at the end of the day, what about a slimline case fan, would that help?
http://www.dabs.com/products/scythe-slipstream-120mm-12...
February 10, 2011 11:01:55 AM

yeah it would but only for one of the holes. well il wait and find a reason so i can justify buying another new case or cpu fan then i will be in the market. gota find a way to getting rid of the cm 430 =/
February 10, 2011 8:44:28 PM

hmm i saw that ibn PC world today while i was on my lunch brake. i managed to get an LG lightscribe dvd rom for a 5er =D

erm.. after payday i think a new case. so il watch the prices of the haf 912 on scan.co.uk

il do some research to see if it comes with 2 14cm fans uptop and see if the cooler will fit. any way thanks for the help guys =D as allways good old service

PS il messure how much over hang the cooler has over the top of the motherboard. that i think is quite a key thing to keep in mind.
Ok just found an ACE review with a video on the haf 912 plus... i HAVE to get it. thank you sO much for pointing it out to me =DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

you are now on my xmas card list
February 11, 2011 8:29:48 AM

No worries, its a smart little case, some say its better than the HAF922. [:bohleyk:1]
February 11, 2011 12:35:46 PM

=D i looked at a few and corrrrr very nice. i cant seem to have anyidea as to why i would spend over £100 for a case tho =/ so i think 50odd quid should be just enough
February 11, 2011 2:09:47 PM

Scan have it for £58 delivered, might get on meself. :D 
February 11, 2011 2:15:44 PM

ebuyer are 56 with free postage i think.

i checked them both out. =D
!