Sign in with
Your question

How much difference between 2 types of VGA exhaust fan?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2010 10:09:38 AM

Hi fellow at tomshardware,

I would like to ask, how much is the difference between the two types of VGA card fan, the one that push the hot air through the back casing, and the one that blows directly inside the casing?

I ask this because I'm planning to get a GTS 450, and I'm still considering which brand to get, the one with the reference design (blows hot air through the back) or the non reference ones (blows inside the case). My current case is a Cooler Master Cavalier with 1x80mm intake fan and 1x120mm exhaust fan.

From several reviews available on the net, I narrowed down the choices to:
- ASUS TOP
- MSI Cyclone
- EVGA (only because it exhaust hot air to the back)

Oh, one more thing: is it true that the fan that blows hot air through the back considered noisier compared with the ones blowing inside the case?

I'll wait for your replies ;) 
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 10:35:15 AM

keigo_kanzaki said:
Oh, one more thing: is it true that the fan that blows hot air through the back considered noisier compared with the ones blowing inside the case?

The type of fans used to exhaust hot air out of the back of the case are radial 'blower' fans that can become a lot noiser at higher speeds than your average fan. The one in my 5970 can get up to the sound of a jet engine if i put it up to 100%

If i am using a positive air pressure build (more air blowing in than blowing out, OR if there is relatively little airflow in the first place) i will use a card that vents out of the back as it contributes to outward airflow. If my build is fairly balance in airflow (matching inflow/outflow) i will use the (increasingly common) cards that vent hot air into the case as i know this can be accounted for by outward blowing fans in the case.
m
l
a c 266 U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 2:58:23 PM

I am very much in favor of the direct exhaust type of cooling. Some of the other types of coolers may do a good job of getting heat off of the gpu die, but they then dump that heat into the case, where your case cooling has to deal with it. This increases the temperature of the air that both the gpu AND the cpu get for cooling.

In an experiment I did some time ago, I found that replacing an internal cooler with a direct exhaust cooler reduced both my gpu and my cpu temperatures by 5c.

I will not buy a high end graphics card without direct cooling.

As to the noise issue, the fan speed of your components is the primary contributor. I think cooling with direct exhaust is more effective, allowing for lower fan speeds for both the gpu and the cpu.
m
l
Related resources
!