roxio

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 14, 2005 7:56:27 PM

Anyone know why the Roxio discussion groups no longer exist.
Someone said it had been taken over by Sonic.
I used to enjoy reading the group messages for Photosuite & Easy CD Creator.
Thanks.
Vic.

More about : roxio

January 14, 2005 7:56:28 PM

They were there last week because I bought a Plextor dvd recorder that
had their new Media Creation software come with it and I had a lot of
big time problems and had to try and get advice. Whatever, Roxio has
about the worst customer service attitude in the industry. Buy an OEM
product and you're dead in the water with them, and this goes back to
Adaptec days. Problem is that they put buggy software out into the world
and there is no way to get to them for help. I personally believe that
practices such as their should be illegal. Oh, the Plextor is great and
their customer service superb.

Vic wrote:
> Anyone know why the Roxio discussion groups no longer exist.
> Someone said it had been taken over by Sonic.
> I used to enjoy reading the group messages for Photosuite & Easy CD Creator.
> Thanks.
> Vic.

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 7:56:29 PM

Vic (remove) wrote:

> I know the customer service was poor ...

They also screwed you on mail-in rebates. You'd mail it in, they'd
never respond, you'd call and they'd hang up on you. Then you'd
resubmit and they'd say they never received it, and on and on. I know
that the sleazy rebate companies are the immediate guilty parties, but
I hold the manufacturers responsible too for using sleazy rebate
companies.

I used to use Photosuite but found that Roxio dumbed it down and made
it more cumbersome to use than when the original developers had it.
Then I discovered the GIMP and have never looked back.

Alan
January 14, 2005 7:56:29 PM

> Whatever, Roxio has
> about the worst customer service attitude in the industry. Buy an OEM
> product and you're dead in the water with them, and this goes back to
> Adaptec days.

That's true of most companies, and there's a reason: OEM bundles are
priced MUCH lower than retail (in this case, as little as 1/5th to 1/10th of
retail) precisely because the reseller agrees to provide support, not Roxio.
If you want support from Roxio, you need to buy the retail version. If you
buy the OEM version, you get support from the reseller - and if they don't
provide it, it's their fault, not Roxio's.

(Note that I'm not in any way pretending that Roxio's software isn't
buggy, and I've never bought a retail version of their software, so I don't
know if their retail support is all that great.)

steve
January 14, 2005 9:26:40 PM

I know the customer service was poor, that's why I preferred asking any
questions in the discussion groups. You could usually find answers from
people who have had the same problems, but now the discussion groups have
been taken off and all you get is a message saying "You are banned from
using this site"
Regards,
Vic.

"Ron" <rgood@netzero.com> wrote in message
> They were there last week because I bought a Plextor dvd recorder that had
> their new Media Creation software come with it and I had a lot of big
> time problems and had to try and get advice. Whatever, Roxio has about the
> worst customer service attitude in the industry. Buy an OEM product and
> you're dead in the water with them, and this goes back to Adaptec days.
> Problem is that they put buggy software out into the world and there is no
> way to get to them for help. I personally believe that practices such as
> their should be illegal. Oh, the Plextor is great and their customer
> service superb.
>
> Vic wrote:
>> Anyone know why the Roxio discussion groups no longer exist.
>> Someone said it had been taken over by Sonic.
>> I used to enjoy reading the group messages for Photosuite & Easy CD
>> Creator.
>> Thanks.
>> Vic.

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 10:26:50 PM

"Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Vic (remove) wrote:
>
>> I know the customer service was poor ...
>
> They also screwed you on mail-in rebates. You'd mail it in, they'd
> never respond, you'd call and they'd hang up on you. Then you'd
> resubmit and they'd say they never received it, and on and on. I know
> that the sleazy rebate companies are the immediate guilty parties, but
> I hold the manufacturers responsible too for using sleazy rebate
> companies.
>
> I used to use Photosuite but found that Roxio dumbed it down and made
> it more cumbersome to use than when the original developers had it.
> Then I discovered the GIMP and have never looked back.
>
> Alan

I hope they went broke. I've had nothing but bad luck with them.

Don Dunlap
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:21:12 PM

"Vic" <jimac2(remove)@ntlworld.com> writes:
>I know the customer service was poor, that's why I preferred asking any
>questions in the discussion groups. You could usually find answers from
>people who have had the same problems, but now the discussion groups have
>been taken off and all you get is a message saying "You are banned from
>using this site"

You mean the discussion groups on the roxio.com web site? They are
still there - I just looked.

Perhaps you, individually, did something that got you banned from the
discussion groups?

Dave
January 14, 2005 11:56:59 PM

"Dave Martindale" <davem@cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
> "Vic" <jimac2(remove)@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>I know the customer service was poor, that's why I preferred asking any
>>questions in the discussion groups. You could usually find answers from
>>people who have had the same problems, but now the discussion groups have
>>been taken off and all you get is a message saying "You are banned from
>>using this site"
>
> You mean the discussion groups on the roxio.com web site? They are
> still there - I just looked.
>
> Perhaps you, individually, did something that got you banned from the
> discussion groups?
>
> Dave

If this were true it would be nice to find out what went wrong.
I never run the products down, never use bad language, never try to promote
other products.
The only thing I have ever done is ask advice from other members and
sometimes I have been able to give advice to others, so I don't understand
what's going on.
Yes I do mean the roxio.com web site and it recognises my log in and
password and confirms that my products are registered.
I'm annoyed if I have been banned for something I know nothing about.
Cheers anyway.
Vic
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:33:05 PM

"Vic" <jimac2(remove)@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> ....... but now the discussion groups have
> been taken off and all you get is a message saying "You are banned from
> using this site"

They are still there. I've just been on them and I'm certainly not a
member.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/discussions/discussion_...
January 15, 2005 1:17:52 PM

The problem with is that the resellers are not trained to work with the
software, and, to make things worse, many cd and dvd burner
manufacturers have perfectly awful customer support capabilities
themselves. I've had some companies (eg. HP) actually tell me to get
lost around software issues, sending me back to Roxio where absolutely
no help is available (a buyer of OEM products CANNOT register their
products, even though one cannot use the hardware without the software).
In the case of Plextor, which I find exceptional, the tech person and I
had to boot up the software on our computers and over the course of an
hour or so try to figure out where the problems were. Many of them had
to do with the fact that the cd/dvd burning software has been terribly
dummied down from EZ and Direct CD, taking out many options that users
once had to make burning efficient. I won't go into detail, but we also
found simple bugs which made some of the software virtually unusable
with dvd-r's.

A group of users went around the block with Adaptec several years ago,
having contacted a couple of state attorney general's offices and
retailers and some changes were made to improve customer contact
capabilities. I had direct contact with an Adaptec vice president on
several occasions and a new marketing manager, who was introduced to me,
was appointed to make improvements -- she seems to have quit after about
six weeks. These were, as far as I can tell, abolished when Roxio took
over Adaptec. In my personal view, there needs to be legislation to give
customers protection. There is no mention on the box or in the
instruction manuals about support and lack thereof. Just because it is
cheaper for everyone doesn't mean it should be done. I think the key
here is to get to some of the major retailers like Staples and Best Buy
and howl like hell. Policies such as this hurt all of us in the
technology industry.

/ron

Steve Wolfe wrote:
>>Whatever, Roxio has
>>about the worst customer service attitude in the industry. Buy an OEM
>>product and you're dead in the water with them, and this goes back to
>>Adaptec days.
>

> That's true of most companies, and there's a reason: OEM bundles are
> priced MUCH lower than retail (in this case, as little as 1/5th to 1/10th of
> retail) precisely because the reseller agrees to provide support, not Roxio.
> If you want support from Roxio, you need to buy the retail version. If you
> buy the OEM version, you get support from the reseller - and if they don't
> provide it, it's their fault, not Roxio's.
>
> (Note that I'm not in any way pretending that Roxio's software isn't
> buggy, and I've never bought a retail version of their software, so I don't
> know if their retail support is all that great.)
>
> steve

January 15, 2005 2:15:41 PM

Thanks RustY. It is obviously just me they have banned but I can't see a way
to ask them why.
I have been reading the posts on & off for six years and I have not done
anything against the groups rules.
Regards.
Vic

!