SSD setup and slow speeds on Force GT 120GB

Last response: in Storage
February 26, 2013 9:55:13 AM

Hi.

I got 2 SSD's in raid Kingston V200+
And a singel Force GT

All connected to Sata 3 ports.
Raid mod enabled in bios ofc.
Intel rapid storage technology running with write back cache Enabled on the raid SSD's. This is trim?
Now whats weird is that my Force GT dosnt show under Storage System View in The Rapid Storage software.

Im getting slow speeds with the Force GT Hers the test from AS SSD.

The ssd raid messures around 1-1,2 GB read write.
Which is around 500 on each which is what the ssd are ment to be at.
Force GT is supposed to be a much higer end SSD than the Kingston V200+

Got an error when running the Access times.

I got 25 GB free og space whene running this test .
AS SSD Benchmark 1.7.4739.38088
------------------------------
Name: Corsair Force GT ATA Device
Firmware: 5.02
Controller: msahci
Offset: 1024 K - OK
Size: 111.79 GB
Date: 26/02/2013 11:25:45
Sequential:
Read: 366.41 MB/s
Write: 144.36 MB/s
4K:
Read: 17.96 MB/s
Write: 52.97 MB/s
4K-64Threads:
Read: 113.02 MB/s
Write: 112.87 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: -.--- ms
Write: 0.256 ms
Score:
Read: 168
Write: 180
Total: 430
a c 544 G Storage
February 26, 2013 2:21:14 PM

AS-SSD uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
Highly incompressible data is the hardest type for any SSD to Read/Write.

The advertised 555MB/s Read and 515MB/s Write speeds for the Corsair Force GT are with ATTO benchmark software.
ATTO uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
Highly compressible data is the easiest type for any SSD to Read/Write.
a c 353 G Storage
February 26, 2013 3:10:40 PM

"This is trim?"
Trim may be enable, But may NOT be passed to a SSD that is a member drive of a Raid setup.
For rtim to be pased,you must have a 7 series Intel MB (ie Z77), and the latest Intel RST driver.

As Dereck47 stated, Sandforce 22xx control des Very porly with Compressed data, Unfornunatly, a OS + Program drive, data is closer to Compressed. But then again Who cares about Sequencial performance any way as thi is the LEAST important parameter for a OS + Program drive - it is the Random 4K performance that counts.

Are ALL SSDs on the Intel controller?? SSDs do not perform as well on a thrid party controler as compared to Intel controller.

And your MB was?????
Related resources
February 26, 2013 4:51:49 PM

I have the Raid SSD and thats only the 2 Kingstons V200+ they are both on Intel

As for trim i checked the requirement and I should have everything it needs.
I got sabertooth z77 the latest RST driver and it shows as raid in the RST with write back cache enabled so no problem with that.

The problem is that the Force GT dosnt show up in the RST.
But its not connected to the Intel sata port duo to only having 2 ports where the raid is setup.
a c 353 G Storage
February 26, 2013 5:10:44 PM

So which port is your Force GTon, I'm guessing a 3rd paty Sata III controller as Seq read >300mb/s.
That would explain some of the reduction in performance and why it is notshowinging up under Intels control.
February 26, 2013 5:54:38 PM

ASMedia® ASM1061 controller
no reason this should bottleneck the speed
a c 544 G Storage
February 26, 2013 7:51:45 PM

aleksanderdev said:
ASMedia® ASM1061 controller
no reason this should bottleneck the speed

RetiredChief is correct. The ASM1061 is a PCIe x1 controller.
http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?cate_...

One PCIe lane is not enough to achieve advertised Read/Write speeds with current generation SSDs.
Current generation SSDs need native 6Gb/s ports to achieve their advertised Read/Write speeds. Your native 6Gb/s ports are being used by your Kingston SSDs in RAID.

Did you retest with ATTO to determine what speeds you are getting?
February 26, 2013 8:35:04 PM

I dont understand.
The ASMedia® ASM1061 controller with
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray

Should be able to deliver the full speeds of an SSD as they are Sata 6GB???
a c 544 G Storage
February 26, 2013 8:42:38 PM

SATA 6Gb/s speeds are from 301MBs to 600MB/s.

You will get over 301MB/s with the ASM1061, so you are getting SATA 6Gb/s speeds; but you won't get your drive's advertised maximum 555MB/s Read and 515MB/s Write speeds.
a c 353 G Storage
February 27, 2013 11:08:43 AM

The generation prior to IB, Sandybridge used the Marvel Controller to provide additional Sata III pots. There were a large number of post on peduced performance. Reviews of SSD (the first Sata III SSD was a C300). the C300 when on a Marvel based controlled did NOT perform much better than placing the SSD on the Intel Sata II port.
a c 353 G Storage
February 27, 2013 11:15:50 AM

Going back to prior to IB and SB (AKA my i5-750 setup) most MBs used a Marvel based SATA III Controller. It was WELL documented that the Crucial C300 (The first Sata III SSD) did NOT perform, both by reviews and individual posts, Only marginally performed better on this port than when placed on the Intel Sata II port.
February 28, 2013 10:49:26 AM

RetiredChief said:
"This is trim?"
Trim may be enable, But may NOT be passed to a SSD that is a member drive of a Raid setup.
For rtim to be pased,you must have a 7 series Intel MB (ie Z77), and the latest Intel RST driver.

As Dereck47 stated, Sandforce 22xx control des Very porly with Compressed data, Unfornunatly, a OS + Program drive, data is closer to Compressed. But then again Who cares about Sequencial performance any way as thi is the LEAST important parameter for a OS + Program drive - it is the Random 4K performance that counts.

Are ALL SSDs on the Intel controller?? SSDs do not perform as well on a thrid party controler as compared to Intel controller.

And your MB was?????

compressible data handling by SF-2281 is good enough. I agree that SF are not good in handling incompressible stuff. I had specifically purchased this controller for tackling compressible data & also to test write speeds on this data and I must say I am not disappointed by their performance. Only thing that strikes, if others are having issues could be to check if they are using the latest firmwares from their vendors.
!