Sign in with
Your question

What do you think of this psu?

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2011 5:29:55 PM

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplie...

This is one my friend found and he is going to use but i want to make sure he chooses it properly. Im also wondering about it.

More about : psu

February 9, 2011 5:50:56 PM

hmm well atleast specify why

i just asked him, i think its like

intel core 2 quad 2.66 ghz
nvida geforce 460GTS 1gb
4GB of ram i think

uhg thas all i know.
Related resources
February 9, 2011 6:00:14 PM

Im not trying to be rude but its fustrating because i ask why, but there is no answer.

Give me the reason why it is bad. I need a reason. Its like saying, look at this huge statue i made, out of cement, and some dude comes up and says why and walks off. He doesnt say why, just says what.

Why?
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 6:01:14 PM

Well first off gpu's require specific connections and power requirements.
GTX series cards require two 6pin pcie connectors.
The Corsair CX500 provides them.
The unit you linked does not.
February 9, 2011 6:01:26 PM

It even has the 80+ efficiency. Read through the specs. IT also has that 12V rail thingy too.
February 9, 2011 6:01:55 PM

Oh and hes getting a 460GTS btw
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 6:03:21 PM

beanoslim said:
I wouldn't use it, pick one of these up, £50, 3 yr warranty and plenty of power for that system.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-Fatal1ty-550W-PSU-UK/dp/B00...

Use cheap psu's at your peril, they are cheap for a reason.

That's an even better fit !
Nice one beanoslim too bad it's out of stock!
February 9, 2011 6:04:09 PM

Edit, is actually a GeForce GTS 450, thats what my friend told me.

But other than the power connectors, why isnt that psu good?
February 9, 2011 6:08:17 PM

dude, feel the power from the psu dude....totally man
February 9, 2011 6:08:54 PM

you gotta get the super expensive £49.99 one if you want something (nice big red fan) instead of the boring black one your getting.
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 6:09:18 PM

pkhamidar2com said:

Well then the unit you linked will work because a GTS only requires one pcie connection.
But as beanoslim pointed out use at your own peril.
I agree with him 100% that is why we've posted known reliable brand names.
Quality brand name psu's actually rate their wattage as continuous.
I see no mention of this in the description which leads me to believe it's peak wattage.
By all means buy what you want but keep in mind a psu is not a good place to skimp when building a rig.
Considering the fact that when a not so great psu goes/dies it usually takes your other gear with it.
February 9, 2011 6:10:33 PM

dude, but why the expensive price tag, whats wrong with aria brand names and brand names like it. the guys probably on a budget.
February 9, 2011 6:15:17 PM

davcon said:
Well then the unit you linked will work because a GTS only requires one pcie connection.
But as beanoslim pointed out use at your own peril.
I agree with him 100% that is why we've posted known reliable brand names.

but once again you, (no rudeness), you fail to explain the techincalities of why. You simply leave me at words "peril"

I will use another metaphor. I am building a statue. I use Plaster to create it. I have no idea that it is bad. Some guy comes up and says its bad. I ask why. He then says, use it at your own peril.

Please please answer why?
February 9, 2011 6:15:58 PM

I understand that those other brands are better, we got that out the way, but i been asking like 5 times why is that?
February 9, 2011 6:16:05 PM

you tell him newbie dude!
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 6:17:55 PM

pkhamidar2com said:

Most no-name PSUs are rated at Peak out put, not continuous, so that 550 watt psu might only supply 400-450.
Also, the specs show 2 12v rails, but do NOT specify how much current that can be delivered. You can't just add up the amps on each rail. And any PSU with a 1 year warranty shows how confident the maker is about his product. Most good PSUs have a 3-5 year warranty, some even 7.

So, you can get a cheap, no-name PSU that might take out all your other components when (not if) it dies, or get a good one(Seasonic, Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, PCP&C, some XFX) that won't let you down! :D 
February 9, 2011 6:18:10 PM

pkhamidar2com said:
Who are you?

im trying to help? fight the PSU power man.
February 9, 2011 6:19:48 PM

clarkjd said:
Most no-name PSUs are rated at Peak out put, not continuous, so that 550 watt psu might only supply 400-450.
Also, the specs show 2 12v rails, but do NOT specify how much current that can be delivered. You can't just add up the amps on each rail. And any PSU with a 1 year warranty shows how confident the maker is about his product. Most good PSUs have a 3-5 year warranty, some even 7.

So, you can get a cheap, no-name PSU that might take out all your other components when (not if) it dies, or get a good one(Seasonic, Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, PCP&C, some XFX) that won't let you down! :D 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, FIRST GUY ON THIS FORUM THAT DOESNT TALK IN RIDDLES, THANK YOU!
February 9, 2011 6:21:13 PM

clarkjd said:

THANK YOU, SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY ANSWERED MY QUESTION!!!!
February 9, 2011 6:21:39 PM

bnot said:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, FIRST GUY ON THIS FORUM THAT DOESNT TALK IN RIDDLES, THANK YOU!

lol, i know right :p 
February 9, 2011 6:22:11 PM

so if pkhamidar2com's friend were to buy this stuff, would it still work, since he has a core 2 dou and GeForce GTS 450 (minimum recommended by nvidia 400W) would it still work if the PSU was outputting 400-450w?
February 9, 2011 6:23:41 PM

According to that dude who answered my question, it would die out quicker than those from proper companies.
February 9, 2011 6:29:48 PM

Why are you asking then? If it works then thats good right? Maybe its a bad cpu, i dunno.
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 6:32:17 PM

bnot said:
but my http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplie... has been running for around 5 years, with an OCed intel core 2 quad processor and it still works.

Yep... there are probably still some Yugo's still running, but I wouldn't take a long trip in one!

As far as whether that particular PSU would work with your friends PC...I don't have enough facts to base an answer on. IF the maker's specs are fairly accurate, then, on paper it should work.

You pays your money and you takes your chances... :hello: 
February 9, 2011 6:36:09 PM

whats life without a gamble?
February 9, 2011 6:47:44 PM

cool beans, pkhamidar2com i asked the manufacturer a question on the psu you linked me to relating to all the issues mentioned in this article, will let you know when they reply :D 
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 6:53:43 PM

1. Why build yourself a nice machine and then power it with a sub standard psu, I don't understand.

2. Cheap psu's are cheap for a reason they don't use the better quality components, they don't come with the warranty and generally are designed to be put in a nice quiet chug a long machine that isn't ever pushed.

3. The psu I listed for £49.99 is cheap, you can spend in excess of £120 on a 500w+ psu.

4. The people that have posted here including me advising you against skimping on the most important ccomponent you will purchase do so for a very good reason, we are trying to give you good advice from experience.

5. How often do you read horror stories of Seasonic or Corsair psu's blowing up and wiping out systems, I haven't read any, but I have read stories of cheap branded units doing just that, yes you will find that some of these psu's will last but if you want to take that risk then the decision is entirely yours.
February 9, 2011 7:00:28 PM

WIPING OUT SYSTEMS?!? damn my systems gonna get wiped NOOOOOOOOO.
backup will take like years because 1.7/2TB is used up!?!?
February 9, 2011 7:07:39 PM

are CIT or sumvision good psu companies, you guys have scared me into buying a new PSU =/
February 9, 2011 7:08:36 PM

beanoslim said:
Thats the one I listed. :p 

but its £5 cheaper on novatech :p 
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 7:16:06 PM

bnot said:
but its £5 cheaper on novatech :p 

Plus standard postage its 99p more. :p 

The Arctic Power is crud.
February 9, 2011 7:17:41 PM

is arctic power not a good company?
February 9, 2011 7:19:53 PM

im looking for a 450W one as well as a 650w replacement, because both my PCs are fitted with the arianet crap, thats why im asking about these PSU's lol :p 
!