How should I split my 2TB HDD?

Until I'll have enough money to buy an ssd, I'll only be using a 2TB seagate barracuda
now my question it, should I use partitions on it?
like - 100GB for OS, 800GB for games/programs and stuff, and another 800-900GB for storage.
Is this a good or bad idea?
I could install everything on one partition aswell, but I'd much rather having partitions.
and an unrelated question, should I use sata AHCI mode on my HDD?
Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about split
  1. yes your partition sizes are spot on
    use ahci mode and not ide, ide mode is meant for compability with older hard drives
  2. AHCI -- yes

Creating a partition for your OS in roughly the same size as your anticipated new SSD may facilitate an easier transition.

At a minimum, you should create several *blind partitions* (at minimal size without setting a drive letter) for any unanticipated future need.

By nature of a mechanical drive, some portions of the platters will spin faster, but I've never tested a 2TB drive for optimal partition sizes - and in the big scheme of things, including your future move to an SSD ...

I wouldn't worry about it!
  3. and when I'll get the ssd, should I have 2 partitions- 30% games/programs, 70% storage?
    the second one of them will be for storage, since the first partition is faster, right?
    and one more question, is 2TB too much? I remember it felt almost impossible to fill up my 1TB. so I could get 1TB for cheaper.
  4. If you are not storing a lot of recorded TV or videos, 1TB should be fine
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage