Sign in with
Your question

Amd phenom II 965 stock fan

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 9, 2011 5:38:31 PM

hi all,
just a quick question, over the last few weeks a have had to use a cheap psu and that ment that i could not use my gtx460.

Got my good psu back today as i had to rma it due to it arcing, i plugged it all in and did the cable management and booted it up, perfect.

after this i unboxed my gtx460 and put that in and working fine, but now i have noticed something.

My cpu fan is loud, sounds like it is running faster but nothing has changed apart from the gtx being put in, i know it is not the gtx making the noise because even if i turn the fan on the gtx down to 2% or stop it the cpu fan still sounds loud. what would cause this.

Thanks
February 9, 2011 5:47:27 PM

Reseat the heatsink for the CPU. It's possible it got knocked just enough to break the seal on the cpu. While your at it you might go ahead and apply new thermal paste if it's been awhile.
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2011 6:25:25 PM

Check that you have cool n quiet enabled.

Its def the cpu fan and not the new psu fan making the noise?

If you do remove your heatsink then you must re-apply your thermal paste, check your temps before doing that with hwmonitor and coretemp, run occt for 2-3 mins and check the temps, if they are reasonable then its probably ok.

Otherwise http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html
Related resources
February 10, 2011 6:35:01 AM

the psu was in and the system was tested before i put the gtx 460 back in and it was fine.

The second i put my gpu in to the pci-e slot and boot the system up it just sounds louder. the temps are the same with the gpu out as it is with it in, cpu sits at 36-37 with both.

This build is about 2 months old, thermal paste is the stock coolers paste and c and q is enabled.

Thanks
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2011 9:54:36 AM

So by the sound of it cool n quiet enabled its speeding up the cpu fan.

Are you sure there are no programs running in the background like anti virus scans?

You really need to check your temps under load to see if there is a problem, idle speeds don't mean a lot.

So if you remove the 460 again it seems quieter again?
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2011 12:04:54 PM

Well, the GTX460 is kinda hot just like the 4890 is for me... I had to replace my case for a CM 932 and now it has no temp problems. Before it, I peaked around 70°c on my 965.

Besides, Phenoms generate a lot of heat; might want to look for an Aftermarket Cooler. You don't need something so expensive if you're not gonna OC it. My 965 is @3.9Ghz with a CM Gemini II @56°c while playing. The new case made a HUGE difference in cooling, thanks to the improved air flow and space. And since you have CnQ on, then it has to be something related to air flow or just insufficient cooling.

Hope we can help you, bro; that's a nice rig you have there.

Cheers!
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2011 2:13:53 PM

My Asus GTX460's are really cool, SLI in an Antec 300 they never get over 60C with default fan speed.(quiet)

Good point from Yuka though what case are you using, if the GTx is pumping more warm air into the case and you don't have sufficiant airflow and case cooling the cpu fan will be trying to cool the heatsink with the warm air resulting in having to work harder.

Does it go quiet again if you run it with the side of the case off?
February 10, 2011 3:13:05 PM

Full specs

Antec 902- with added inside case fan for gpu and side case fan for gpu.
asus gtx460 1gb
phenom II 965 be
wd 500gb
lite-on odd
xfx 650w core edition 53a +12v single rail
asus m4a88t-m
4gb ddr3 1333mhz

when running idle are 36-37 but thats with some web serfing and listening to music and talking over steam, they go down to 32-33 if system just left on desktop doing nothing. on load playing crysis on max the cpu temp gets to 48 max after playing crysis on max with natural mod on after a hour testing. the cpu fan does get very very loud when the temps are that high.

The sound still sounds the same if i take the side case fan off.

my gtx 460 sits at around 23 on idle and when playing crysis as above it goes to 64.

i do only have a small screen, 17" 1280x1024 so its not pushing them.

The fan sound is like it when idle and yes when the gtx460 is out it goes silent again, very strange.

a b à CPUs
February 10, 2011 8:18:26 PM

Temps seem ok, only thing I can think is the extra heat generated by the card then?

I'd suggest an aftermarket cooler anyway for better quieter cooling.

Hyper 212+ is decent and cheap, or for a bit more the Noctua NH-U12P or the Zalman 9900MAX.
February 11, 2011 7:26:42 AM

lol the zelman 9900 max is the one i am getting, with the blue led.

the sound is instant once you put the system on, that is its lowest it will go.

I will find out how many rpm's it is doing with the card in and with the card out. thats the only way i can see a difference.

a b à CPUs
February 11, 2011 8:51:55 AM

You won't even know the Zalman is on, its silly quiet.
February 11, 2011 12:09:05 PM

thats what i was looking for, the benchmarks for it are great too.

When i am playing games like black ops or dawn of war 2 the speed goes up to 4200rpm and is so loud.

just double checked cool and quiet is on.

Still not sure why the fan is louder when the gpu is in, would the extra strain to the northbridge ( i think ) put some pressure on the cpu to make the fan spin faster im not sure.
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2011 12:37:09 PM

Heh, yeah. Stock HSF's from AMD have always been loud.

Just recently, a friend of mine got himself an Athlon II X3 and he told me it was a bloody turbine; so I sent him my 965's. Now it's a little more silent thanks to a bigger HSF, the Fan has to do a little less work or something.

Anyway, I'm still wondering, how's the airflow inside your case? Does the GTX460 gets the air out? Are the additional fans pulling the air out? Do you have a lot of cables blocking the Fans or something like that?

The new HSF u're getting should do major part of the trick by itself though, but still...

Cheers!
a c 110 à CPUs
February 11, 2011 1:33:11 PM

36-37c at idle with C&Q seems a bit high to me. How are your volts running?

Though the stock fan can get noisy when rev'ed up, you should be able to control the RPMs either though Smart Fan in the BIOS or a utility like SpeedFan.
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2011 2:05:54 PM

boden08 said:
thats what i was looking for, the benchmarks for it are great too.

When i am playing games like black ops or dawn of war 2 the speed goes up to 4200rpm and is so loud.

just double checked cool and quiet is on.

Still not sure why the fan is louder when the gpu is in, would the extra strain to the northbridge ( i think ) put some pressure on the cpu to make the fan spin faster im not sure.

My 460's use quite a bit of cpu power when Folding so that could be it.

Could be extra heat within the case.

A mate of mine has his 1090T @3.9ghz and his 9900MAX keeps it under 50C while loaded with the fan at 30%.
February 12, 2011 7:34:32 AM

All of my cables are within cable management this was the main reason ofthe 902.

36-37c is high for idle, didnt think this was too bad. voltages are spot on.

Right now my fan is spinning at 2836rpm and my cpu temp is 38c.

not had a chance to do a test yet but i will later today and let you know.

Thanks for all the replys

February 13, 2011 9:01:55 PM

I HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM

Because of the asus board i have i got some tools that come with the drivers.

The tool is epu-4 engine.

This was set to max performance and kept the cpu at 3.4ghz

the second i put it on auto it went silent and i had to look in my case to see if the fan was still spinning and it was.

The rpm is now below 1800rpm and my temps are at 27c with all my case fans on silent mode.

Just in case anyone else looks at this forum for the same problem.

When i put the gpu in the system the epu-4 engine set the system to max performance rather than auto, thats the problem i had and has now been resolved.

Thanks all
a c 135 à CPUs
February 13, 2011 11:16:44 PM

cheers
February 14, 2011 1:48:40 AM

Noted when buying ASUS mobo, thanks.
!