Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Reasonable priced high performance gaming build

Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2010 4:51:09 PM

Hey Guys,

I've been using this site for quite a few years now to figure out what I should put into my PC's and as I'm about to buy a new PC I figured I should ask some advice in here as there are some people around here that know way more about custom builds then I ever will. Basically I have a basic idea of what I want but I'm not 100% sure whether my graphics card CPU and memory are optimal and if there might be any compatibility issues or possibly any parts which will either underperform and pull the whole system down or are to good for the system and won't be optimally used. I'm pretty flexible in both the CPU and graphics card (ie maybe get a slightly cheaper card SLI) but I am rather set on getting 8gb of memory because on my current system memory has been the main choking point.

Approximate Purchase Date: Somewhere in the next 2 or 3 weeks probably as soon as I know exactly what I want

Budget Range: Around 1000-1300 euro's (1350-1750 dollars)

System Usage: Pretty much solely gaming, I have my other older PC's for any surfing and media use

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers (possibly screen I currently have 2 22" TFT's but I'm considering getting a 24" or 26" for 1920x1080/1200 resolution)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.alternate.nl (I am not yet confident enough to build it myself without screwing up and they offer good service)

Country of Origin: The Netherlands

Parts Preferences:
Processor Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (25 euro's)
Graphic Card GIGABYTE GV-N470SO-13I (259 euro's)
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-760 (170 euro's)
PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W (108 euro's)
Casing Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced (85 euro's)
Motherboard MSI P55-GD65 (115 euro's)
Harddisk (SATA) Samsung HD204UI (2TB) (83 euro's)
Memory Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1333 Quad-Kit (118 euro's)
DVD-Burner Samsung SH-S223C (15 euro's)
DVD-Burner Pioneer DVR-S18LBK (15 euro's)
OS Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (80 euro's)

Overclocking: Maybe (I would consider it but never done it before)

SLI or Crossfire: Like I said before I'm considering maybe going SLI (thinking 2x Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI for 165 each for that, though it would push the price up about 70 euro's so it would have to be a noticeable upgrade)

Monitor Resolution: 1600x1200, 1680x1050 possibly 1920x1080, 1920x1200

Additional Comments: My main goal is to have a PC that is able to run most if not all games on near to highest settings for about 3 years to come so reliability and durability have a big part in my final decision. Also I have in the past had some issues with on board sound and I do wonder if getting a sound card would prevent this or I've just been unlucky.

I'm also wondering if it might be worth adding a couple extra case fans to keep the system nice and cool.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 15, 2010 6:39:34 PM

Get a F3 spintpoint....
Case fans are always a good Idea, they are like 5 USD....

No on the sound card

other then that, if you have some more, consider a Mushkin SSD...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2010 2:19:12 AM

First above all, if you plan to have a PC last you a couple years, is to makes sure it stays cool and dust-free. So if it means you get a few extra fans, and maybe get some dust-guard for the fans. You should see at least a few years of life to it.

Also you need to make sure you get good components. Like Intel CPUs, GSKILL Memory, Corsair PSUs. Pair these components with your good cooling and little dust, you can get this PC to last for many years. It will probably become obsolete before it breaks down.

Ohh and by the looks of the set-up you can easily run full-hd 1920x1080 resolution on everything.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2010 2:44:35 AM

Also, you said you needed a monitor (possibly) try an Asus VH236H...
m
l
November 16, 2010 9:36:47 AM

Thanks for the quick replies, they've given me a better idea of what I should get. For one I will definitely stuff my system with fans. However I do now have a few specific choices to make on which I would appreciate some advice.

Graphic card: I'm considering either getting a GIGABYTE N470SO for 260 Euro's or go with 2 GIGABYTE N460OC's for 330 Euro's, the SLI is a bit more expensive but from what I've found it might be worth it.

Memory: I'm considering either getting a CL9 Corsair for around 120 Euro's, a CL7 Kingston HyperX for 150 Euro's, a G.Skill CL9 for 170 Euro's or GeIL CL9 for around 135 Euro's. And is it worth getting a special cooling fan for the memory?

PSU: Should I stay with a Coolermaster PSU or is it worth going for a Corsair and is 700/750W enough or should I go for a bit more.

CPU: Does an Intel i5-760 fit this system or is it not up to the task (and should I either upgrade it or downgrade the rest).

SSD: What exactly are the advantages to this, I know for sure it will upgrade my boot times but around 100 euro's for 64GB just to save a few minutes a day starting up seems a bit expensive so what are the other advantages?

Again thanks for the help so far any advice on these choices would really help me make a final decision and get a nice system for the years to come.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2010 12:13:10 PM

If you have the money then I would say get two GTX-460s and go SLI.

For the memory, unless you case doesn't have good cooling, you dont need any memory coolers. And if you plan to put 2 graphics cards and a i5-760 and etc, you better have a good amount of case cooling fans, like no less then 4-120MM fans.

PSU-wise, Corsair is a little better, but Coolermaster should do the job. And if you plan to do two video cards, or even plan to do two video cards in the future, I say get at least 800 watts.

The Core i5-760 is really good CPU, however if want to have really good performance, you might want to look into a i7-950, its $85 USD more, then the i5-760 but its really powerful. It would really make your system go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD, these things are amazing, while still very expensive compared to HDDs, they pay off in performance. Lightning fast boots, fast installations and virtually no loading times. These things rock. If you still dont want to get an SSD, then I highly recommended the Samsung Spinpoint F3, these are some of the best HDDs you can get.

November 16, 2010 4:23:10 PM

Once again thanks for the help I've made some preliminary decisions based on what you've told me.

I'm leaning toward the Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) as it is rated as up there with the Corsair and G.Skill and I can get it in CL7 unlike the Corsair XMS3 andG.Skill Ripjaw which I can only get in CL9. Although there's also the option of the GeIL Black Dragon and if it's worth it I could go for the Corsair Dominator though that would be another price upgrade and the system has already gone up about 200 Euro's in price so it would have to be noticeable. However I admit I'm really not sure about the memory and it is a part on which I put a high premium so I would love some advice.
Unless convinced otherwise I'm going for SLI GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI's.
Right now the system has 2 140mm fans 4 and 120mm fans (and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, I could put in more (2 80mm and/or 140mm) if it's worth it but not sure right now.
I've decided to stick with the i5-760 as going for the i7-950 would also mean switching motherboards and it would pretty much put everything in a higher price category for me.
As there's limited PSU availability I think the Antec TruePower new 750 should give me everything I need (from what I could find on these and other forums).
I switched my HDD's to a 1TB Spinpoint F3. While an SSD would give me improved loading times and installations my only goal for this PC is smooth gaming and I'm not that concerned with loading, from what I've found so far an SSD wouldn't really help with this and I think I would be better off spending the extra cash on SLI GPUs.
I've switched my motherboard to the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro as I've found it's a superb motherboard.

So that would give me a system with:
2x GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI's
i5-760
1TB Spinpoint F3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) Though this is subject to change
Antec TruePower new 750
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2010 4:39:18 PM

All seems good, after looking at the case, you should be fine as is. Just keep an eye on the temp for a few days to make sure all is good.

Keep the i5 should be fine, I do say you should look into a good aftermarket cooler for it, and just give it a good overclock to 3.5 GHz.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2010 12:17:20 AM

for temps, Speccy or PC wizard 2010, both are freeee
m
l
November 18, 2010 7:03:45 PM

Ok I've got this system now:

2x GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI's
i5-760
1TB Spinpoint F3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Antec TruePower new 750
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

The only thing I'm really not sure on yet is the memory, I'm thinking the Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) which is CL7 right now but I'm still not sure I shouldn't either get the Corsair XMS3 or G.Skill Ripjaw although they are in CL9 which should hurt performance. And there's also the GeIL Black Dragon to consider and possibly the Corsair Dominator though that one is kinda expensive. I'm pretty much set on everything else so I'd love some advice on the memory so I can go and get my pc.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2010 7:36:26 PM

G.skill, then mushkin, corsair sometimes
m
l
November 28, 2010 3:25:28 AM

Best answer selected by stgerlachus.
m
l
!