Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P5N-E SLI + GTX 580?

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2011 6:45:35 PM

Link to the P5N-E SLI

I am looking to upgrade my computer. I have looked into just buying a new rig, but after getting feed back from this great fourm I've decided upgrading is better.

So, now I'm looking to get a new GPU, I have an older mobo and don't know if it will support the newer cards that look SO great. Please help....

Here are the PCI slots for my mobo...

Expansion Slots 2 x PCIe x16 , Single VGA mode: x16 (Default), SLI mode: x8, x8
1 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI 2.2

More about : p5n sli gtx 580

February 9, 2011 8:06:54 PM

If it has a PCI-E x16 slot it supports all modern GPUs.

what is more important is if your PSU can support it. A minimum of about 450W and most cards can be used, a high end card may be better suited to a high quality 650W PSU.
m
l

Best solution

February 9, 2011 8:51:19 PM

Quote:
If it has a PCI-E x16 slot it supports all modern GPUs

Not true, The card he gets must be compatible with the version of PCIe slot he has.
ie - A GPU running PCIe v2.1 might not work in a PCIe v1.0 slot. The Galaxy gtx580 I just looked at is one such card. Its only backwards compatible to PCIe v2.0

edited to add quote.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 9, 2011 8:59:39 PM

I have confirmed that that motherboard has PCIe v1.0a for what its worth.
m
l
February 9, 2011 10:03:47 PM

'Overall, graphic cards or motherboards designed for v 2.0 will be able to work with the other being v 1.1 or v 1.0.'

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci-e

The GTX580 should not run into any bandwidth issues with the PCI-E 1.0a.
m
l
February 10, 2011 12:16:42 AM

Best answer selected by mojotazman.
m
l
February 10, 2011 12:32:44 AM

my dad has a pcie 2.1 ati 5570 vid card with that motherboard working perfectly. So it will be compatable with pcie2.1 . There is also a BIOS update for the motherboard that fixes a problem with new ati cards taking a long time to initialise. I also have the same motherboard butt with an 8800gts. I would still not bother putting such a high end card in that mobo, it will be bottlenecked by whatever cpu you have unless you have an overclocked 4ghz core 2 quad. Im thinking of making a thread for a compatability list of pcie 1.x motherboards and 2.1 vid cards. In reality the pcie system is designed to be backwards compatable, but manufacturers that dont release a BIOS to support it is the problem.
m
l
!