Erratic behaviour - won't boot OR freezes after starting OR works fine

ranman100

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Hello ...

I recently purchased computer components and had the computer store (NCIX) assemble my computer.

The computer operated fine for the first 2-3 weeks, but now one of three things occur when the computer is switched on:

note: the percent beside each number is an estimate on how much each scenario occurs:

1) [30%] During "boot up" I see the "MSI motherboard display screen (where I can enter into the bios screen)", and then the screen blanks out, I see a blinking cursor (_) and then receive message "A DISK ERROR OCCURRED - PRESS CTL-ALT-DEL TO RESTART" (if I restart, same thing happens again)

2) [40%] windows starts up, everything appears normal, and then while I am working on the computer, it will just stop working (have to reboot). ( freeze could occur 1 minute after windows starts up, or 30 minutes later, no pattern per se...)

3) [30%] windows starts up, and everything works fine the entire time I use the computer (e.g. 4-5 hours).

I ran a Western Digital Utility to check the entire hard drive out, and it came back with no bad sectors, etc..

I was hoping that someone might be able to make some suggestions on what I could look at to determine/solve the problem.

thankyou in advance !!

My Computer specs:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
MSI X58M X58 mATX LGA1366 DDR3 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI-E4 CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard
- Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard
- Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
Intel Core i7 950 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.06GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S
- Heatsink Included with My CPU
LG GH24LS50 24X Super Multi Lightscribe SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
MSI X58M X58 mATX LGA1366 DDR3 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI-E4 CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit
MSI GeForce GTX 460 Fermi Cyclone OC 725MHZ 1024MB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card
Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent Computer Case 2X5.25 8X3.5INT No PS Front USB
1 x Seasonic S12II 620W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan

Solution
Sort of surprised no one else has chimmed in here. I would suggest trying a new sata cable, the RAM test I mentioned earlier and run disk check from My computer/C/Properties/Tools/disk check/scan for errors. I'm doing this from memory so the path me be a little off. If that doesnt fix it lets start over from the begining. We can work through stuff like I would, which wont be the most efficient way to do it, but We will eventually get the problem fixed. I am sort of an idiot so you'll have to be patient with me but I am willing to help fix this issue.
let me know what happens with the new cable, RAM check and disk check. If none of that fixes it we will go back to the begining and do it by the numbers.

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I dont know for sure but could be a software conflict, or more likely a virus of some kind. Have you run Malewarebytes?? It is a free program and has bailed me out more than a few times. Download it at
www.download.com
install and update it right away, then run it on Full Scan. If it pops up with anything that looks funny. Anything that says Trojan, malware etc. If your not sure google the items your not sure about.
If that fails to find your issue think about what you recently loaded just prior to the issues starting. I recently had issues with Malewarebytes and Avast. I also have had issues with AsRocks OC tuner and Win 7 64. I'm betting on a virus of some kind tho.
Good Luck

ranman100

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

Thanks for the idea, I will try that. It had not really occurred to check for a virus, as sometimes the computer will not even boot up to windows ( I assumed that a virus would have to wait till windows booted up) .... but I'll try anything at this point :D

Take tonight for example:

Getting my machine to work:
1st attempt: Machine did not boot: (A hard disk error occurred message....)
2nd attempt: Machine boots, go to my email account (gmail) .... just as I get there, machine freezes
3rd attempt: Machine freezes during start up (stuck on "Starting Windows")
4th attempt: Machine boots, go to my email account (gmail) .... just as I get there, machine freezes
5th attempt: Everything working fine ....

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

I had a virus that looped my sons machine during boot to windows. It was an endless cycle of the XP splash screen and the scrolling blue bar for hours on end. It never booted. Also have had blue screen prior to boot with a virus. It may not be a virus but it may be and then you could avoid the trial and error involved with HW issues. I would also suggest you remove a stick of RAM and see if it runs without that stick. If issues persist, replace that stick and remove the other, or next one. Keep doing that until all sticks are verified to be OK. Is there tech support at the shop that built it?? I know that is a major shop in Canada. If the maleware doesnt do it, or you cant get it running long enough to do it, try the RAM thing. If that doesnt work post what you did and results to your thread. I will keep checking back and try to help and others will jump in with ideas too. It will be resolved. Lots of experience on this site.

ranman100

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
thanks for the additional tips. I will try them all

I do plan to take the machine back to NCIX, but it will be 2 - 3 weeks before I can get back there, I had hoped I might be able to solve the issue before then.

(Darn frustrating having a new machine that you can't use :fou: )

I really appreciate your advice!

ranman100

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Just an update on my situtation:

- I ran malware scan and it came back negative

Some "good news" that raises new questions:

- I unplugged and replugged the hard disk connectors (motherboard and hard disk), and ever since then, the computer always now boots up.

HOWEVER, it will still "freeze up" 50% - 70% of the time after a while (could be 5 minutes, could be 30 minutes...).

If I try and turn off the computer (using the power switch), most times after 2-3 minutes, the computer becomes responsive again, and the machine will do a gracefull shutdown. After which time, I start the computer again, and then it seems to run fine for my duration on the computer....

Not sure if there is something "wonky" with my hard disk/motherboard? any suggestions on how this could be "troubleshooted" further?

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Sort of surprised no one else has chimmed in here. I would suggest trying a new sata cable, the RAM test I mentioned earlier and run disk check from My computer/C/Properties/Tools/disk check/scan for errors. I'm doing this from memory so the path me be a little off. If that doesnt fix it lets start over from the begining. We can work through stuff like I would, which wont be the most efficient way to do it, but We will eventually get the problem fixed. I am sort of an idiot so you'll have to be patient with me but I am willing to help fix this issue.
let me know what happens with the new cable, RAM check and disk check. If none of that fixes it we will go back to the begining and do it by the numbers.

Solution
First of all, welcome to the forums! Second, download and install:

CPU-Z, Prime95, speedfan, GPU-Z, and HWMonitor - all freeware

Edit: Forgot to mention the siginficance of downloading the above mentioned software.

CPU-Z is a tool that will report how your CPU is currently performing, it will also tell you what your RAM is performing at. This calls into question the settings that are present, versus what should be set.

Prime95 is a CPU stress testing tool. Running this app in the "Blend" mode, will put 100% load on your CPU while running through tests. This is used to test stability on load with rising CPU temps.

HWMonitor will give you readings on your system. Using this with Prime95 will show you what your CPU temps are while under heavy to extreme load. Very important.

GPU-Z, like CPU-Z is a monitoring tool, too. This one; however, monitors the temps of your GPU (video card).

Speedfan is useful to monitor your CPU temps, RAM settings, etc. Much like CPU-Z. Having a second opinion makes all the difference.

Repost with the temp readings of each program.

Next, go to www.memtest.org and download the compressed (.zip) file containing the disc image (.iso) of the program. If you don't have a third party burning software installed, double click on the .iso file you downloaded. Then burn the file to cd using Windows.

Pop the disc back into the drive, and then restart your computer. MT86+ will run automatically. Let the test run for about 7-8 passes, this will take several hours.

ranman100

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I downloaded and installed the tools, and ran the tests.

Memory test checked out okay. Disk check reported no errors

Here are the temp readings after running the CPU stress tool from CPUID Hardware Monitor (Speedfan showed same readings):

Hardware monitor Fintek F71882F
Voltage 0 3.36 Volts [0xD2] (+3.3V)
Voltage 1 1.22 Volts [0x99] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 2 1.28 Volts [0x50] (VIN2)
Voltage 3 2.08 Volts [0xB1] (VIN3)
Voltage 4 4.92 Volts [0x75] (+5V)
Voltage 5 12.14 Volts [0x8A] (+12V)
Voltage 6 1.76 Volts [0x6E] (VIN6)
Voltage 7 3.34 Volts [0xD1] (VSB3V)
Voltage 8 3.22 Volts [0xC9] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 62°C (143°F) [0x3E] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 58°C (136°F) [0x3A] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 35°C (95°F) [0x23] (TMPIN2)
Fan 0 2075 RPM [0x2D3] (FANIN0)
Fan PWM 0 100 pc [0xFF] (CPU)
Fan PWM 1 100 pc [0xFF] (System Fan 1)
Fan PWM 2 100 pc [0xFF] (System Fan 2)
Fan PWM 3 100 pc [0xFF] (System Fan 3)
Hardware monitor Intel Core i7 950
Power 0 130.00 W (Processor)
Temperature 0 75°C (167°F) [0x19] (Core #0)
Temperature 1 73°C (163°F) [0x1B] (Core #1)
Temperature 2 75°C (167°F) [0x19] (Core #2)
Temperature 3 71°C (159°F) [0x1D] (Core #3)

Hardware monitor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Temperature 0 27°C (80°F) (GPU Core)

Hardware monitor WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
Temperature 0 30°C (86°F) [0x1E] (Assembly)

One thing I noticed is that when I turn the computer on and run CPUID Hardware Monitor or Speedfan the initial temperatures are:

Hardware monitor Fintek F71882F
Temperature 0 31°C (87°F) [0x1F] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 52°C (125°F) [0x34] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 36°C (96°F) [0x24] (TMPIN2)

Temperature 0 47°C (116°F) [0x35] (Core #0)
Temperature 1 42°C (107°F) [0x3A] (Core #1)
Temperature 2 47°C (116°F) [0x35] (Core #2)
Temperature 3 42°C (107°F) [0x3A] (Core #3)

does Temperature 1 @ 52°C (125°F) seem high for just having booted up the system ?

thanks guys for your help with this !!

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
The numbers look OK to me. I'm not an intel guy but I know they run and can run hotter than AMD. The volts look OK. Did you get and errors during Prime 95?? when you ran it did you log the tests??
Have you gone in and touched every lead in the case to VERIFY it is plugged in securely?? If not I would do that. Be sure the touch metal before you dive in. Make sure all power leads, Esp the 24 and 4/8 cpu pin power are really tightly set. They may look OK and be just slightly eschew.

The temp 1 is a little high for a cold boot, but 52°C isn't gonna kill the CPU. The rest of the temps look good, too. Doesn't look like heat is causing the problem.

Two more things to try:

1. Download, install, and run FurMark. This is a GPU stress tester, it will do to your GPU what Prime95 does to your CPU, more or less.

2. Test your PSU to make sure that the P1 connector has the correct voltages being distributed to your mobo. Compare your readings to the readings in the troubleshooting guide (link in my signature).

ranman100

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

I switched out the cable earlier in the week, and used the computer all week without any booting problems OR computer freezes !!! :pt1cable:

Thankyou g048989h and T_T for your suggestions, and for jumping in and helping me out a novice like me.

I really appreciate it 1