ASUS P8Z68 mobo not recognizing hard drive, keeps restarting

sh0rty0423

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Hi everyone.. please bare with me because I'm not the best with this stuff.

I just ordered a new video card, processor and motherboard. I kept my hard drive, memory, and all that. I plugged in my hard drive to the side of the motherboard (It's either in a white or blue piece of plastic, not exactly sure what to call it). When I boot up @ the marvel screen it says "no hard disk detected!" and continues to loading up windows, however once it gets past the "starting windows.." screen, the screen goes black and restarts. This process keeps repeating. From what I've read it's either:

hard drive is plugged into the wrong area on the motherboard
I need to disable the marvel controllers? (not sure about that?)

I'm really at a loss right now.. so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

To better help you, you should provide the type, make and specifications on the new hardware... and also the old hardware to see if they are compatible with your old ram memory. Also describe the ram memory (DDR, DDR2, DDR3? #MHz, etc.)

If the hard drive data cable is gray wide and flat; it's the IDE data wire, and IDE connector on the motherboard. Or if the cable is narrow and colored, it's the SATA data cable and SATA connector on the motherboard.

What is your version of Windows? What you're getting at the begginning, is the BIOS has trouble detecting your old harddrive, possible causes: 1) your harddrive may be getting old, not spinning fast enough and delaying the hard drive recognition. 2) your power source may be weak and may not provide enough watts for a qwick & fluid hard drive boot...

If the Hard Drive is IDE, you should connect the IDE data cable to the IDE Channel 1 connector... the motherboard should say in small print IDE1 - IDE2...

If the Hard Drive is SATA, the data cable should go into the SATA1 connector (read the small print on the motherboard). This is to set the Hard Drive in the right motherboard connector,.. But the real problem you are experiencing, is that the Hardware has completely changed and your Windows doesn't have the drivers for the new hardware installed... the Windows Plug and Play service should install the necessary drivers or ask for them to be provided, but Microsoft has this antipiracy policy that makes Windows deactivate when you make several or drastic hardware changes at once... so, you will have to reinstall/repair your Windows.

Insert the Windows Installation Disk as you turn the computer on and select Repair Installation to keep your programs and settings as they were before.

The current installation of Windows on your existing HDD has all the drivers needed by your old motherboard, and is most likely in conflict with the drivers the new motherboard needs. You really need to do a clean install of windows in order to get the correct drivers for your new motherboard.

Why are you using the SATA ports on the Marvell PCIe 9128 controller to begin with?

Always try to use up the SATA ports on the Intel controller first before resorting to using the SATA ports on the crappy Marvell or JMicron controllers.

If you need a SATA3 6Gb/s port use the one of the gray ones first.

If you need a SATA2 3Gb/s port use the light blue ones.

If you don't have any SATA drives attached to the Marvell PCIe 9128 controller then go into the EFI BIOS Utility and disable it.

sh0rty0423

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

asus p8z68-vpro

attached to intel z68 serial at 3gb/s connector (blue)

not sure how to check the last question.

I have done multiple Windows repair installations on systems with upgraded hardware and never experienced a subsecuent driver problem that would not have occured after a clean installation. The Windows installation program detects your computer's hardware and installs the appropriate drivers. It doesn't care what type of installation you do.. the outcome is the same.

In any case you will have to find and install or update drivers like: Sound card, Chipset, Display, integrated video, Network adapter, etc.. Some of these drivers may be in the Windows disk, but others will surely not be in it. Drivers download http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/#download

Besides, a clean installation only serves a purpose if the System had been working with issues... otherwise it is not required and would only make you lose files, settings, programs and licences... and have to start from zero setting up your Windows the way you like it, and waste time in the process.

I'm signing-off for the day, try the following:

IF you have an Aftermarket HSF then make certain if there's ANY Metal to MOBO contact that you install a thin plastic washer regardless of what the manual states. This doesn't apply to the Stock HSF.

Screw -> | Metal Backplate | Plastic Washer | [MOBO] | Plastic Washer | ETC...

Lazyman's Breadboard or Full Breadboard (outside of case). Nice video, start around 13 minutes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the first DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

The CD drive won't open? you mean the CD tray won't open?...

And the CD Drive LED, does it flash after you push the power button?

When you said no HSF, did you mean the heat sink fan didn't/doesn't run?

Download the owners manual to check the front Panel connectios and BIOS settings
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/#download

kriss120

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Your problem is same with me..same motherboard with 12GB RAM Kingston HyperX + i7 2600..After several hour it will restart automatic and keep restarting after that.i dont know what happen...maybe need to upgrade processor fan ?...cause to hot ?.. :(

I don't think you have the same problem... For this reason and so your message can be noticed by more people that can answer, you should start a new thread.