BT test and master socket

G

Hello, I have happily been using a BT test socked for some years now with my wireless netgear router, until today when the internet light went out on the router.

We have had to call our ISP in the past and the situation has been rectified however normally switching the router off and on again will rectify the problem. However the test socket seemed not to work at all no matter how many times the router was restarted and no internet connection could be established, when ringing the ISP we were told to connect the router downstairs to the master socket and then the problem was solved.

However now I cannot get the upstairs pc to connect because it has no wireless network card and was wondering if there was any way to get the test socket upstairs to work again like it has done for the last 3 years.

Which in the case of a BT system in the UK, you do by removing the front plate of the master socket and plugging directly into the engineer's socket behind it. That eliminates all the other internal wiring of the property so if you get a good signal with low noise that way, there's definitely something wrong with the wiring to the extension sockets and BT will threaten to charge you £150 to come and look at them.