Why is this PSU so cheap?

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Its a basic level PSU, providing a cheap way to power a system.

it probably does not hold many of the advanced features of other performance PSU, but should function normally for about the same time.

It also looks like it isn't 80+ certified, so It won't have a 80% efficiency which is good to look for in a PSU for a performance system.

It won't fail out of principle, but if a PSU is to fail, low end budget ones are more likely especially in areas where the voltage levels may drop or flicker etc.

Basic generic PSU rated at peak power with the specs of a decent 400watt unit. Not a recommended buy, cheap PSU can sometimes turn into expensive when it starts killing other components in the system.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Would likely be built with inferior components, and unless they have not listed all cables/connections, it does not offer very many and seemingly they are not sleeved.

No mention of PFC.

Power wise we have no idea what efficiency it has, not a good sign, and 30a on the 12v rail is not good either (if the Alpine can even deliver that), it is about equal to what a quality 400W PSU offers.

It doesn't even have any PCI Express Supplementary Power Connectors.

It's a low end budget power supply not worthy of consideration especially if your video card requires the PCI-E power connector(s).

Neither have I, but I have seen a lot on varius sites in the UK that I didn't recognize. The PSU is the single most important component you can put in your PC. You can go cheap and probably end up with expensive when a lot of stuff gets wrecked by a bad PSU. The better PSUs use high quality capacitors and other components, and yes cost a bit more as a rule ( I have Corsair in both Desktops ). As lothdk stated, it is most likely built with inferior components. It is also lacking certain features such as the additional "Rail" for extra power to a Video Card. It is best to stay well away from that bargain basement stuff.

it500w is likely its MAX rating, not continuous rating. Most cheap PSU's that i see that make it past a year without completely blowing up have leaky caps after that time and gradually fil to power on. it may be ok for a basic system with a very low end video card, but if your looking to power a gaming system, look elsewhere.

TraineeAngel77

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Old thread I know but equally important. I have thje 650W version of this PSU which I bought at the time of this discussion and it has worked FLAWLESSLY. I paid £22 for it so is a case of buy cheap and get quality :)

Chaosninja

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

So should I buy it or listen to the others??

robz0996

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015

Listen to the others. There is an XFX TS 550W PSU currently retailing at 38 quid on Amazon. It's Seasonic OEM and good quality, granted it's non-modular. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HW979AQ/?tag=pcp0f-21

Cheap generally means inferior parts were used such as caps ( capacitors ). It may be working flawlessly, but you are playing Russian Roulette with your Computer.

TraineeAngel77

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

Hiya again, well despite what the others think the PSU has worked for me absolutely flawlessly. I have to admit that I am an electronics engineer and have hundreds of CAPCITORS to hand so take from that what you will :) Btw what the others are also saying is alos correct but I can only take this topic from what I myself have experienced. Hope this helps.