Best advise for processor & mobo gaming build

G

hi all i was wondering what is the best gaming processor & mobo for around £160 or < pref amd platform.
all help appreciated. thanks chris

G

sorry my other components are:
xp pro
nvidia gtx 260
2x 2gb corsair ddr2 800mhz
old msi am2 mobo & amd athlon x2 3ghz
ocz 600sxs

Just been reading another post and realised that my ram could also do with an upgarde to DDR3. My graphics card is slightly outdated but will be keeping it for now. Can anyone please help with mobo and processor? Thanks Chris

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The only thing that sucks in regards to the below components is that you'll need DDR3 RAM which will likely cost another 60 quid or so.

I would not upgrade the motherboard & CPU unless you were going to jump from your current AM2 platform to the AM3 platform.

Motherboard: ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
= $99.00 USD = 61.00 quid

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
= $155.99 USD = 97.16 quid

G

Will I still get the benefits from the RAM whilst still using xp pro 32bit system though? Also found this what ya think Will I still get the benefits from the RAM whilst still using xp pro 32bit system though? Also found this what ya think http://www.ebuyer.com/product/237057

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
you will only be able to utilize 4GB total RAM with 32-bit OS so likely after video card and any other items that use RAM, it'll be more around 3GB that you'll be utilizing, not a big deal at all really...

G

thanks for the quick reply mate. so is 3gb ok ?.did u look at that link if so what did u think? plus i cant work out if u get a fan to suit the processor. amd have usualy suplied one in the past

G

p.s is this a good bundle for the cash or is it better to buy separetly?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
There is an AMD supplied fan/heatsink so no worries there. Don't worry about the RAM, it'll be fine for the time being, when you have the chance, upgrade to Win 7 64-bit but you won't need to rush that.

That combo deal looks to be solid if you don't mind having a mini-ATX motherboard. You won't be able to crossfire or SLI in the future...

G

could i get a simular package seperatly with a sli motherboard for sim money

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I would say most certainly not, a regular ATX motherboard with SLI or Crossfire support will be a little bit more, maybe you might be able to get deal for about 30 more...

G

does this mean that its capable of SLI OR CROSSFIRE:?

Slots
PCI_E1 slot with x16 operation (PCI Express Bus SPEC V2.0 compliant)
PCI_E2 slot with x8 operation (PCI Express Bus SPEC V2.0 compliant)
When 2 PCI Express x16 slots are all installed, the PCIE x 16 lanes will auto arrange form x16/ x0 to x8/ x8. Do not use PCI_E2 slot when only one PCI Express x16 card is installed.

im a little unsure if the mobo can surport both sli and crossfire or is it one or the other. is it based on the mobo or is some software uploaded onto it for it to surport one or the other???

TRENDING THREADS