UT2004 vs Halo2 vs Doom3

Last response: in Video Games
November 11, 2004 5:22:22 AM

How these other games compare to UT2004?
Halo2 just been released, 1.5 millions copies sold before release, so I
guess pretty popular.
I like UT2004, but never played the other ones.
UT2004 maybe for more mature players (I'm over 40) and Halo2 is for kids?

Julius

More about : ut2004 halo2 doom3

Anonymous
November 12, 2004 12:13:26 AM

"Szaki" <szaki10@comcast.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> How these other games compare to UT2004?
> Halo2 just been released, 1.5 millions copies sold before release, so I
> guess pretty popular.
> I like UT2004, but never played the other ones.
> UT2004 maybe for more mature players (I'm over 40) and Halo2 is for kids?
>
> Julius

Great to see more players around 40 :-)

I have always thought that I was playing agains brace-face pimble
youngsters....

UT rulez

Happy Fraggin' PyroStorm
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 6:31:31 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:58:30 -0500, count zero <mememe@me2.com> wrote:

>If Quake 4 (?) uses the Doomed 3 engine then Quake 4 will be useless
>because you'll need a P4 3.2 Ghz GF 6800 to run it. Unless you think
>playing an online FPS at 20 FPS is fun...

I'm happy enough with UT2004. I've tried out the Doom 3 demo and it
doesn't light my fire. Too dark for a start, and too many baddies
attack from behind.

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 8:34:49 PM

"Szaki" <szaki10@comcast.net> kirjoitti viestissä
news:o WNkd.600918$8_6.224106@attbi_s04...
> What I read about Halo2, new version can be played up to 16 player on
line.
> UT2004 is lot better, since I've seen many servers can handle 32 players
on
> line.
That player limit has nothing to do which game is better IMO. Most of the
UT2k4 servers have 10 or 12 player limits with couple of spectators. This
is valid at least for CTF. 32 players might be good for onslaught but I
don't know as I don't play onslaught.

> Watched a Demo video of Halo2, seems like geared toward kids 10-15 years
> old, with silly monsters and space suited Marines.
> Step above the "Mario brothers" game.
What a review! You have seen a demo video of Halo2... and is UT2k4 then
geared towards adults? With guns like goo-goo gun, which shoots neon green
slime balls? And the teams in UT2k4 are usually neon red and blue. I'm a
UT2k4-holic and I think UT is great. I also like Halo on xbox and have
preordered Halo2 even though I haven't yet played it. Those monsters in
Halo are imo at the same silly level as UT2k4 monsters (e.g. Skaarj players
and robots). It's imo needed in both games to make the enemy easier to see
and more fun to play. Both of these games have a scifi theme, which at
least I like. These games are different with UT2k4 having really fast
action. I hope that Halo2 brings the xbox/Halo2 online experience to the
same level as with competitive UT2k4 clans, but I can't comment to that yet
as I haven't actually played H2 yet. Btw. Szaki, you better ask for
opinions on some other channel than here ;)

/Kari
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 10:30:56 PM

"Kari L" <kari.laipio@dontsendme.email> wrote in message
> "Szaki" <szaki10@comcast.net> kirjoitti viestissä
> news:o WNkd.600918$8_6.224106@attbi_s04...
> > What I read about Halo2, new version can be played up to 16 player on
> line.
> > UT2004 is lot better, since I've seen many servers can handle 32 players
> on
> > line.
> That player limit has nothing to do which game is better IMO. Most of the
> UT2k4 servers have 10 or 12 player limits with couple of spectators. This
> is valid at least for CTF. 32 players might be good for onslaught but I
> don't know as I don't play onslaught.

*I play ONS 90% of the time. Some 500-600 server comes up for ONS in UT2k4,
many has 32 player capabilities.
Over 20 players I get lot of lags.

> > Watched a Demo video of Halo2, seems like geared toward kids 10-15 years
> > old, with silly monsters and space suited Marines.
> > Step above the "Mario brothers" game.
> What a review! You have seen a demo video of Halo2... and is UT2k4 then
> geared towards adults? >>

*Once we had a survey on this n.g. about the age of the players, youngest
were 21 and the oldest 61 , I'm 47.

<<With guns like goo-goo gun, which shoots neon green slime balls? >>

*That gun (Bio-gun) not practical in ONS, all though it's there on some of
the ONS maps. Used it a lot in DM or CTF maps, lot of fun. Some players are
very good using it, can be a surprise weapon, when nothing else is
available.

<<And the teams in UT2k4 are usually neon red and blue. >>

*That's the basic color, you can download and pick any skin you like. It may
don't show up on the server, unless you uploaded.

<<I'm a
> UT2k4-holic and I think UT is great. I also like Halo on xbox and have
> preordered Halo2 even though I haven't yet played it. >>

*I don't own Xbox, waist of money, that's for kids. My PC can handle most
games.
Plus, one has to buy the same game twice, I think.

<<Those monsters in
> Halo are imo at the same silly level as UT2k4 monsters (e.g. Skaarj
players
> and robots). It's imo needed in both games to make the enemy easier to see
> and more fun to play. >>>

*I don't pick monsters for my character, but I've seen younger players like
them.
Each character has different advantages. My character prefrence has SPEED.

Both of these games have a scifi theme, which at
> least I like. These games are different with UT2k4 having really fast
> action. I hope that Halo2 brings the xbox/Halo2 online experience to the
> same level as with competitive UT2k4 clans, but I can't comment to that
yet
> as I haven't actually played H2 yet. Btw. Szaki, you better ask for
> opinions on some other channel than here ;)

*As I said, only seen a few minuts DEMO video of HALO2, wasn't impressed.
I don't have lot of time to play games, so I just stick to one, UT2k4.
JS
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 11:17:36 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:30:56 GMT, "Szaki" <szaki10@comcast.net> wrote:

>*I don't pick monsters for my character, but I've seen younger players like
>them.
>Each character has different advantages. My character prefrence has SPEED.

I play as Bender from Futurama complate with voicepack. It's a shame
that so few of the others can see and hear it.

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.
November 20, 2004 9:18:27 PM

"I'm happy enough with UT2004. I've tried out the Doom 3 demo and it
doesn't light my fire. Too dark for a start, and too many baddies
attack from behind."

That's because it's supposed to scare the shiite out of you.

"Julian Richards" <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:58:30 -0500, count zero <mememe@me2.com> wrote:
>
>>If Quake 4 (?) uses the Doomed 3 engine then Quake 4 will be useless
>>because you'll need a P4 3.2 Ghz GF 6800 to run it. Unless you think
>>playing an online FPS at 20 FPS is fun...
>
> I'm happy enough with UT2004. I've tried out the Doom 3 demo and it
> doesn't light my fire. Too dark for a start, and too many baddies
> attack from behind.
>

> --
>
> Julian Richards
> usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk
>
> Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
> with people that you would never want in your house.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 1:09:26 PM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:18:27 GMT, "Mark" <mustango656@comcast.net>
wrote:

>"I'm happy enough with UT2004. I've tried out the Doom 3 demo and it
>doesn't light my fire. Too dark for a start, and too many baddies
>attack from behind."
>
>That's because it's supposed to scare the shiite out of you.

It just ends up as being frustrating at the expense of gameplay.

--

!