Help with hp slimline s3100n

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny_boy8284

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
my hp slimline s3100n only has a 160 watt supply and i am trying to play the new civilization 5. I need to put a good graphics card in my computer for it but finding a low profile , 32bit , 160watt max graphics card that plays the game seems impossible, anybody know of one or can i just upgrade my power supply somehow?

Solution
That core specs of the PC are not that terrible, but the power supply does not look anywhere near a standard shape to easily replace. And you will need to track down a low-profle video card as well.

You can take out the components of the computer, and get a new case with a standard PSU, Antec is a good pick and even their lower end case/power supply combos will be way better than what you have now. Not much more work than replacing the power supply, and you get a regular case and can look for any size video card now.

I tried to find the full specs for the motherboard, aside from stating it's an nVidia chipset can't find the size. You do need to make sure that the motherboard meets ATX specs as far as the stand-off holes go, or...

infernox_01

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
what processor and what resolution will you be playing it at? the minimum specs say you could use the core i3 integrated graphics if you have that processor. the 160 watt power supply is very low, you could go for the HD5450. very low power usage, 20watts max but its not really a gaming card so im not sure how it run the game. you could risk it and get a HD5550 which should be ok but it does have a max power usage of 39w. both these cards can be found low profile and are pretty cheap.

i would recommend a bigger power supply. im not sure but i think you have a tfx power supply. there are 300w power supplies available by seasonic and fsp which would do the trick.

That core specs of the PC are not that terrible, but the power supply does not look anywhere near a standard shape to easily replace. And you will need to track down a low-profle video card as well.

You can take out the components of the computer, and get a new case with a standard PSU, Antec is a good pick and even their lower end case/power supply combos will be way better than what you have now. Not much more work than replacing the power supply, and you get a regular case and can look for any size video card now.

I tried to find the full specs for the motherboard, aside from stating it's an nVidia chipset can't find the size. You do need to make sure that the motherboard meets ATX specs as far as the stand-off holes go, or you'll have issues fitting it to the new case.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.