Sign in with
Your question

480 GTX High Flow Plate and Thermal Paste replace

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2010 4:50:14 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if Thermal Paste replacing and High Flow Plate is worth the 20 mins time wasted to actually do the job?

High Flow Plate

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=M020-00-00...

Thermal Paste

I have no idea which I'm going to get but I need a very high quality one.

This is temp till I either sell the card and grab a 6000 or till Christmas where I get a water cooling system going.

Thank You:) 
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 4:54:26 PM

Is that just for the rear of the card ? I always wondered why they don't give more room for air to exhaust back there.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 4:59:50 PM

I wouldn't bother if I were you as the most you will see is a 5c - 6c drop.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 23, 2010 5:00:19 PM

Yes its the rear plate :)  more flow through the back less back in the case:p 
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 5:02:40 PM

The plate no but the compound is what are you waiting for as the stock compound on these cards isn't any ware near good enough for the job and decays fairly fast depending on temps. The most that the plate will do is lower temp by 1-3c max.
m
l
September 23, 2010 5:05:15 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I wouldn't bother if I were you as the most you will see is a 5c - 6c drop.

Yeah but look at it in my perspective, 90 degrees vs 85 :p  lol on load

I would change the heat sync itself to something fan based for now, but they are SOOOOOO hard to come accross!!!!
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 5:07:11 PM

If that 5c difference is so important to you then go for it, I wouldn't bother personally.
m
l
September 23, 2010 5:19:56 PM

yeah, how is the Artic COoling MX 3? Any good as a paste compound? or any other recommendations?
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 6:23:13 PM

People mention the heat of their GTX 480's often, but I'm wondering what's the problem? As long as it doesn't OVER heat, then the 90-91c range is exactly how the cards are designed to run. With my system, the fan never goes above 75%, so the noise to maintain those temps isn't much of an issue either. Now, if the heat is causing problems with other components or interfering with overclocking, I can see how it would be an issue, but otherwise, just let it be. It's just a number.

Here is a review of the EVGA high air flow bracket. They found a 1c degree drop in temps.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1355/1/

Zalman makes a very well-reviewed thermal paste that comes with a brush applicator, and seems like a much easier and accurate way to apply paste.
m
l
September 24, 2010 1:48:23 AM

Well here are some images, the thermal paste on the card was very embarrassing, it was dried up, very sandy and hard as play dough that stayed out at times. The thermal paste also had collected dust from the fan: Anyways here it is:

Here are the heat results of the heat After an hour of Folding@home:

-Two things changed:

1) the Heat went down from 91/90 (92 max recorded), to 85/86 constant, and it plays back and fourth between 85 and 86.

2) the Fan speed no longer gets really load and it hovers around early 60s, compared to before where it would reach 76% and even 82%.

The card is still hot, but it no longer has heavy noise and is 6 Degrees cooler. very impressed.
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 2:16:15 AM

Wow, I have to say that is really cool. What type of thermal paste did you use? I'm convinced to give it a try myself. Despite what I wrote earlier, it would be nice to get the fan down closer to 60%. Danger Den has a video on how to remove the shroud. Did you run into any problems?
m
l
September 24, 2010 3:49:23 AM

I used MX-3 Artic Cooling, The WHOLE syringe, the card needs alot of thermal paste, its not like a CPU lol.

I used the tip of some crappy headphones to take off the cover of the fan so that I dont break the snaps. Then all u have to do is unscrew the 4 screws with the springs to get the main Heat sync to expose the GPU.

Also i applied some force to get the Heat sync off, but not as much trouble as the motherboard Heat syncs.

Remember I also re organised some of my wires which prob helped with the airflow. This should hold me off till Water cooling, I just want to see what the 6000s do before I make a 200-250$ investment.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 1:18:06 PM

I am not caught up in the hype that is the R 6000k series unlike many and they may disappoint till 28nm gpus finally roll out.
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 7:30:35 PM

I have since done a bit of research, and have found that those who replace the TIM on the GTX 480 have seen anywhere from 1c to 10c difference in load temps. I have also seen a few photos of nasty, gooey, very poorly applied paste from the factory. It looks like the procedure is actually relatively easy and straightforward. In all, it definitely seems like something to try out.

As far as the 6xxx series goes, I keep in mind that the 4xx cards will likely also be appearing some time over the next couple months. But in reality, I'm super happy with my current card, and it's performance makes an expensive upgrade just unnecessary at this time.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 9:40:44 PM

I just put some old Antec Silver Thermal paste I had lying around in my GTX 470 a couple weeks ago. Honestly, it didn't do a dang thing compared to the stock paste MSI had put in mine to begin with.

Now, had I used AS5 or something maybe I'd have seen a difference? Either way, it did nothing for me. :( 

Considering a Zalman ZF3003F when they ever release them. Though I'd like to potentially SLI in the future, so I'm not 100% decided on the ZF3003F. We'll see what happens. :)  At that time, I'd probably use the TIM Zalman provides, as their cooler seems to perform very well.
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 10:01:48 PM

You might want to look out for the Artic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus cooler for a GTX 470/480. The KFA2 GTX480 Anarchy was just released with that cooler. It was tested to run at 55c load. They also OC'ed the card to 900mhz and the temp only got to 65c.
m
l
September 25, 2010 3:01:28 AM

17seconds said:
You might want to look out for the Artic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus cooler for a GTX 470/480. The KFA2 GTX480 Anarchy was just released with that cooler. It was tested to run at 55c load. They also OC'ed the card to 900mhz and the temp only got to 65c.

Yeah I'm looking for 1, as a temp, but they are hard to find with out having to order them:)  and even then its tricky! I asked my friend to grab one for me through his shop so we'll see what he does:) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 5:30:55 AM

Geez, you'd think Nvidia wouldn't skimp on stuff like thermal paste, considering how hot these Fermi's get...seems they did it the right way with the 460's.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 5:35:49 AM

Annisman said:
Geez, you'd think Nvidia wouldn't skimp on stuff like thermal paste, considering how hot these Fermi's get...seems they did it the right way with the 460's.

It's not Nvidia who put the cards together though is it? Surely you should be having a pop at the manufacture of the card not the designer of the GPU?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 5:47:14 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It's not Nvidia who put the cards together though is it? Surely you should be having a pop at the manufacture of the card not the designer of the GPU?

I think if it is an important part of the card, Nvidia can 'guide' those who have to assemble the card with a little more enthusiasm, you know, like float them an extra dollar per card to put decent TIM on the card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 9:38:41 PM

17seconds said:

Oof! Except I'm seeing it online for about $90 US. Their website says $65 MSRP though. Unfortunately, the "Where to Buy" link comes up with nothing in the US for dealers, distributors, or sub-distributors.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 5:39:01 AM

Annisman said:
I think if it is an important part of the card, Nvidia can 'guide' those who have to assemble the card with a little more enthusiasm, you know, like float them an extra dollar per card to put decent TIM on the card.

I'm sure that they do give out guidelines but as for paying to have those guidelines followed, that is just not something that makes financial sense as I do believe that the manufactures buy the GPU's anyway then do what they want with them so long as it's within their licence agreement.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2010 12:14:11 AM

Well they can always sell the chip for 1 dollar more each, then still give out the guidelines on how to cool the card.... Then it makes financial, and practical sense.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 27, 2010 12:17:59 AM

Annisman said:
Well they can always sell the chip for 1 dollar more each, then still give out the guidelines on how to cool the card.... Then it makes financial, and practical sense.

You're talking about hundred's of thousands of dollars just to to have guidelines followed, I can't see that ever happening myself.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2010 7:42:29 PM

Isn't that how it works to begin with ? The extra cost gets passed down to the consumer, who, individually speaking does not really see that cost. Alas, Nvidia has a card that does not carry the 'too hot' label anymore, and they may gain perspective buyers because of it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 7:02:02 PM

Such a small rad lol, still it should do the job fine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 7:15:52 PM

That is a really small rad, you may find your temps are a bit higher then you wanted due to the rad size.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 7:25:58 PM

You better have flow rate to your advantage or a high performance fan to go with it.
m
l
September 30, 2010 9:35:19 PM

The rad is because I have no room, and like I said with a full rad ppl get 26-30 degrees idle and about 50-55 load with a reg rad I think I will prob see around 5 degrees different.:p 

I have a small 1500 to 3000 rpm fan, either way the fan is 25% smaller than a reg rad:p  Not much of a difference:) . Worst comes to worse I'll grab a 120mm one:D 

but thnx for the input, I hope its ok! It will def be better than the stock fan:p  Hahah
m
l
September 30, 2010 10:04:47 PM

HAHAHAH yeah
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 2:25:35 AM

LMAO That is one loud fan. That sucker must have been meant to cool a ROOM full of blade servers considering the air it's obviously pushing out. Just hilarious.

12V @ 7A. LOL
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 2:31:55 AM

Liquid, I'm not sure if you mentioned the model of case you have ?
No grommet holes for a external mount ?
I think you gpu will run cooler for sure initially but the size of that rad might not drop enough heat and temps will cascade up ? Hey I don't know, it takes people to try and report. Good luck.
m
l
October 1, 2010 11:58:03 AM

I'm using the Thermaltake Armour series, I think 1000 or something, i bought it around 2 years ago or so. And yup, it does have a part where you pop the holes out and u can have external liquid cooling, but I sometimes go for quake 3, sc 2, BF BC 2 lan parties, and I sometimes take my main pc. LOL so I dont want anything external haha.

Well we'll see I hope it is enough, because I have a high powered fan attached to it, and it should make up for it:) .

I'll do benchmarks when everything gets here:) 
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 12:19:50 PM

My advice is, if your going to watercool, do it right... I wouldn't buy anything from thermaltake for watercooling (read some bad things about there products over at XS and read some reviews of there products which show them to be bad performers), Also that rad is no where near enough for a GTX480 which will output roughly 250W worth of heat, My RS360 rad can dissipate roughly 700W, so I'd guess that 80mm would dissipate roughly 160W...
No where near enough.
Anyway I hope I'm wrong at it works out for you.
m
l
October 1, 2010 4:57:23 PM

well i could always change :p  I mean I dont need anything to huge, I wouldn't mind my 480 GTX even running a 70 Degrees to 75. I just dont want it at 86-92 depending on the room temp.

but I will report the results and worse comes to worse. I'll get rid of the H50 Corsair and do the the 120 mm fan with the 480 GTX:) 
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 5:31:06 PM

Yeah you might get away with a 120mm Rad, that 80mm Rad simply doesnt have enough surface area to dissipate that much heat.

I look forward to the results though :) 
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:00:32 PM

you got it!!!!!

I'm dieing waiting for the shipments some are on back order...watch I get everything then I find out I'm either missing parts from the items....or just parts to fit together all together:D 

Check list:

Pump + reservoir(check)
Rad (check)
tubes (check)
Fittings (check)
Thermal paste (16 g and 8 gs) (check)
Water block (check)

Missing

Coil wire to reinforce tubes

AND 480 GTX MISSING! jks lol:p 
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:31:11 PM

use thermalright hr 03, it was good enough for G80 (8800gtx ultra) & keeps my 470 @ 60c load with 2 8 cm fans
m
l
October 6, 2010 11:05:36 PM

ok well I got most of it set up, I'm still waiting for the pump reservoir. It idles @ 76 Degrees now:)  so I'm impressed. As soon as I do even the slimmest of tasks it jumps its clocks and its temps:)  so this computer will remain off until the water cooling pump and reservoir is here:) .

Here are some pics and I'll keep u posted!

m
l
October 6, 2010 11:09:13 PM

Oh and here are pics of the rad, its really heavy and thick! LOL:p 

m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 11:15:29 PM

No wonder its copper. I wouldn't mind salvaging one of those fairly large A/C rads but most pumps are to weak to push any thing that large. :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 1:48:38 AM

IMO it's worth it, i shaved off 5/6c on both idle and load temps.

Removed the previous stock thermal pad/paste
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/DSC011...

Re-pasted the "cooler" with MX-2
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/DSC011...

Before (ambient @ 74F)

After (ambient @ 74F)

Here is a video that compares the temps with stock bracket (on-off) and high-flow bracket :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeDExVteRGI

So with the re-paste and new bracket you should get a good reduction in load temps.

m
l
!