Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Replacement CPU and Mobo for new build

Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2011 12:13:44 AM

OK guys, heres the deal. My brother and I were going to build 2 new gaming computers. We HAD everything set until Intel pulled the switch on us and recalled our 2500k and mobo. Now, what we decided to do was just buy another CPU and Motherboard off of newegg.com. We still havent ordered the parts because we are undecided. We will be playing games at 1920x1080 res. Games include WOW, Borderlands, Fallout and other random games. I know for a fact that I will be replacing my mobo and CPU for the new bulldozer or IVY bridge in the future so im not looking for any TOP dog CPU and mobo for gaming right now. Could someone recommend a Good quad core cpu and a decent motherboard? Preferably ASUS for mobo. CPU I dont care if its AMD or INTEL. I want to overclock the GPU and CPU by the way. I am getting a Corsair H70 water cooler unless anyone recommends anything different. The purchase date is next Friday. THanks guys
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2011 12:32:37 AM

I would wait till April and get sandy-bridge otherwise you going to waste a lot of money for less performance.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 10, 2011 8:10:46 PM

cia24 said:
I would wait till April and get sandy-bridge otherwise you going to waste a lot of money for less performance.

The OP is very aware of the Cougar Point chipset issue... this is designed to be a stop gap measure until Ivy Bridge is ready.

I'd look to find the least expensive CPU/Mobo combo that is compatible with the rest of the components with your future system. AMD is generally a better bang for the buck solution... Newegg currently has an Athlon II X3 450 (3.2 GHz) for $80. A ASUS M4A79XTD EVO is $84 after MIR. There are a couple 880G Asus boards for less than $100 too... It has DDR3 and PCIe... so the RAM and GPU for your future system would work. If you're planning on a LGA2011 system, and you're looking to have matched quad channel RAM, this board maxes out at 16GB (4x4GB)... Most reviews I've read say that the triple core is good enough for most gaming. Its a modern design, so it should get out of your way enough for the half a year you're using it...
Related resources
February 17, 2011 5:18:49 AM

Best answer selected by Kaori Cpu.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2011 9:06:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!