Delted Ubuntu partition, now PC won't start?

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I dual booted Windows 7 with Ubuntu on my old laptop a few months ago to screw around, and today I decided to factory restore it because the HDD was almost full and it's been really slow lately.

It is a Toshiba laptop, so apparently you are supposed to hold down "0" while booting up to access the factory restore stuff. I tried that, and it wasn't working, which I guessed might be because of the Ubuntu boot manager thing that was popping up. I went back into Windows 7 and deleted the Ubuntu partition. Now when I start it it gets past BIOS and then just says:

[cpp]error: no such partition.
grub rescue>_[/cpp]

I tried doing some of the things from googling, but none of the ones I have tried have worked. Do you know how I can fix this?

To be clear, I don't want to get back into Ubuntu. I want to get the factory restore working.

Thanks,

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I didn't make discs. I've never owned any DVD-RW discs and I assume it would need more space than a CD has.

I'll see if I can find an online manual or something and see what it says about this. I'm really bad with storage related things, xD. I know quite a bit about graphics cards, CPUs, and PCs in general, but I have no idea how to troubleshoot any storage issues.

EDIT: Found an online manual. I'm reading now.

EDIT 2: Alright, it appears you are right. I assumed there was a recovery partition since that is how all the other laptops I've used have been. I don't have any recovery media. Would it be possible to download a recovery ISO or something?

I guess it would be fine if I could just get it back into the old Windows 7.

I did some more looking around and it seems I need to restore the MBR, but I don't have any way of doing this.

Are there any USB bootable programs that can do this? I don't have any installation media.