Advice videocard for older pc

vinner

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Hello people,

Before I start, here's my pc:

E6300 C2D 1,86Ghz (MoBo: MSI p965 neo, Pci-e 1.0a)
PSU: Fortron 450W (FSP450-60APN)
GPU: 7950gt (but it's broken :p)
2Gb of RAM

Monitor: It's an old CRT 17 inch monitor. I think I have the resolution on 1280x1024.

Usage: Gaming mostly, but I don't expect to play the latest generation games with it. I used to play fallout 3 and far cry 2 with it, but it was stretching it ;)

Problem:
My 7950GT Died on me a couple of weeks ago (lots of artifacts), I tested in another pc and showed the same problem, so i am positive it's dead.

I want to replace the videocard, to get the pc working again. I prefer to get a decent card that will get it working again with about the same performance as before (although I don't mind a upgrade :p ).
I don't really want to spend a lot of money on this pc, since it's quite old already. So I don't want to go a lot over 80 euros (107 dollar).

I had these cards in mind:

HD4670: Seems to be a bit of an upgrade, and costs 70 euros/93 dollars
HD5670: Newer version of the former card, even bigger upgrade and not that much more expensive. 80 euros/106 dollars. But I have seen a lot of people that have issues installing this card on older mobo's. So I am in doubt of getting this one
HD4830: Fastest card from what I have read. But this one will prolly be bottlenecked by my CPU, and I just have the minimum required PSU. Same price as the 5670: 80 euros/106 dollar.

So my question is: What do you people recommend me to get out of these? Or did I miss a great card in my search?
I am leaning towards the HD4670, but that's only because it seems to be giving me the least issues with installing and running it, haha.

vinner

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
It seems the HD5670 has a 2.1 pci-E, and a lot of people have trouble installing it on a pci-e 1.0 MoBo. Although I did some searching and it seems that sapphire has a HD5670 has a pci-e 2.0 version. That one seems to be working. :)

5670, even 5650 would be a good choice. The system is fairly weak so no point going higher than a 5670 IMO.

Depending on your budget you could overhaul the system for a few hundred. New mobo and CPU (like an E5400) and add another 2gigs RAM plus the vid card. You'd be looking at about $300