Budget Linux compatible

Eter

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: 3 weeks

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) 300EUR

System Usage from Most to Least Important: internet, learning linux.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: pixmania.ie

Country of Origin: Ireland

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: up to 1900x1020

Additional Comments: id like all the parts to have linux support and drivers, probably will need a dedicated graphics card with dvi

At this budget i would hit as many cores my green could get for linux box - i think you'd end up with a Rana X3/Propus X4?

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T reviewed (for Linux developers) | What Digital Revolution?
As anyone who does Linux development knows, going multithreaded is usually as simple as typing “make -jN”, where N is the number of parallel jobs that you want to execute while building your app (normally N = number of cores/processors + 1). At $200/$300 per processor, that would make the X6 a bargain-basement priced high-power workstation (Intel’s current six-core offering, the Core i7 9xx series, is actually faster than the X6 but also costs +$1000, out of the reach of mortals and students like myself).

My USD $299AR config
Untitled-280.jpg

Eter

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Well ill be learning the system ins and outs on it. Internet mainly, but it could end up being a small home file server.

G

As i was sick of my windows XP machine (HP DV8000 Laptop) i tried to install Windows 7 on it, what a joke, no chance, so i decided to build a desktop machine to run on Linux.

I went for a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L\E5200\2GbDDR2-800 bundle, a A-open case, a Asus 4580 Graphics card, a 1Tb Sata Hdd, Pioneer Dvd-rw drive, a new keyboard, Logitech trackball and 21" monitor.
The whole lot including the monitor cost me just under £260--All bought off Ebay.

I have installed the newest Linux Mint "10" and it worked great, no hitches at all, Linux found the drivers i needed and it was up and running and on the internet in less than 20 minutes.
The range of free software available for Linux is amazing, i now have Open Office, Video and audio software, image editing programmes and heaps of games and not a blue screen in sight.

I have now installed Linux on my laptop and run windows in a "Virtualbox" and have no problems there either.
Having used Linux for a few days now i find it very unlikely that i will go back to using Windows as a main operating system ever again.
I hope this list of bits helps someone wanting to do the same thing.