Budget Linux compatible

Approximate Purchase Date: 3 weeks

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) 300EUR

System Usage from Most to Least Important: internet, learning linux.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: pixmania.ie

Country of Origin: Ireland

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: up to 1900x1020

Additional Comments: id like all the parts to have linux support and drivers, probably will need a dedicated graphics card with dvi
7 answers Last reply
More about budget linux compatible
  1. At this budget i would hit as many cores my green could get for linux box - i think you'd end up with a Rana X3/Propus X4?

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T reviewed (for Linux developers) | What Digital Revolution?
    Quote:
    As anyone who does Linux development knows, going multithreaded is usually as simple as typing “make -jN”, where N is the number of parallel jobs that you want to execute while building your app (normally N = number of cores/processors + 1). At $200/$300 per processor, that would make the X6 a bargain-basement priced high-power workstation (Intel’s current six-core offering, the Core i7 9xx series, is actually faster than the X6 but also costs +$1000, out of the reach of mortals and students like myself).

My USD $299AR config
  2. what will you be using this budget system for?

Basic internet/office stuff? Virtual Machines? Linux gaming?
  3. Well ill be learning the system ins and outs on it. Internet mainly, but it could end up being a small home file server.
  4. something like batchuka's build then, though I'd go for and 880 motherboard by AS Rock or MSI over Biostar.
  5. Thanks for the help lads, really appreciate.
  6. As i was sick of my windows XP machine (HP DV8000 Laptop) i tried to install Windows 7 on it, what a joke, no chance, so i decided to build a desktop machine to run on Linux.

I went for a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L\E5200\2GbDDR2-800 bundle, a A-open case, a Asus 4580 Graphics card, a 1Tb Sata Hdd, Pioneer Dvd-rw drive, a new keyboard, Logitech trackball and 21" monitor.
    The whole lot including the monitor cost me just under £260--All bought off Ebay.

I have installed the newest Linux Mint "10" and it worked great, no hitches at all, Linux found the drivers i needed and it was up and running and on the internet in less than 20 minutes.
    The range of free software available for Linux is amazing, i now have Open Office, Video and audio software, image editing programmes and heaps of games and not a blue screen in sight.

I have now installed Linux on my laptop and run windows in a "Virtualbox" and have no problems there either.
    Having used Linux for a few days now i find it very unlikely that i will go back to using Windows as a main operating system ever again.
    I hope this list of bits helps someone wanting to do the same thing.
  7. Yep u are welcomed and happy shopping/building ^^
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Compatibility Linux Systems