darkcha0s

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Just a foreword: I'm a *COMPLETE* newbie when it comes to graphic cards and PCs for that matter. I've been interested in playing the new FFXIV game, but the benchmark is giving me pathetically low scores, which indicates to me that my laptop is currently not able to run the game.

My laptop is only 2 1/2 years old, and it was rather expensive at the time I bought it. Do you suggest that I upgrade the graphics card or just invest in a gaming PC? (If the latter is your recommendation, around how much would I have to save to be able to purchase a really good gaming PC?)

Here's a screenshot of the pathetic benchmark results: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/darkcha0s/Untitled-2.jpg

Thanks for your help!

ares1214

Splendid
Basically, if you want a good laptop, buy from here:

http://www.xoticpc.com/

If you want a good desktop buy from cyberpower or ibuypower, i like cyberpower's site more, but they are basically the same:

http://www.ibuypower.com/

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

The best laptop is like an average high end gaming build, and yet will likely cost MUCH more. Desktops are the way to go for hardcore gaming, but if the features of a laptop are what you want, then you can get a decent gaming laptop.

darkcha0s

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Thanks. Judging from your posts and the articles that you've provided me with, I'm thinking this laptop is just going to be a huge money sink in terms of upgrades. Best to just use it for WoW and web browsing, as it doesn't seem capable of handling much more than that.

Definitely going to look into a good gaming desktop.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Believe it or not, building a gaming rig from scratch isn't as hard as most people think.

The hardest part in my opinion in building a rig: Attaching the CPU Fan/Heatsink to the CPU and Motherboard. That's always a bit unnerving just because of the forces involved.

Otherwise, it's pretty plug and play. You put stuff in, screw it in place, and plug one part to another. Turn it on, configure BIOS (if necessary), install O/S, install Drivers, done.

ares1214

Splendid
Yeah, blue 24 pin to blue 24 pin socket, black 4 pin to black 4 pin socket. attaching the heatsink can be hard, but i find it easy. Id say the hardest part is...actually its all pretty easy, maybe just making sure everything is mounted correctly, and making sure the case small pins are plugged in. But it is quite easy.

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

you need an i7 & GTX460 to enjoy that game. my i7+ single GTX460 run that game flawless with max setting. 60FPS most time.

ei8htbit

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
@ darkcha0s:
Don't let the benchmark bring you down too much (although that is quite a low score) if you don't want to spend a lot on a new rig keep in mind that the retail game allows you to configure quite a few settings that will boost your performance if your computer doesn't have the muscle. Keep in mind the following:

Here are the biggies that affect graphics performance in this game:

RESOLUTION: your computer won't be able to handle FFXIV at 1080p (1920x1080) which is what it looks like the benchmark you ran was running. HOWEVER you can always knock it down to a respectable 720P or lower and boost frame rate dramatically.

BUFFER SIZE: THis is the frame buffer rate that is independant of the resolution you choose. So if you find that knocking down resolution to 720p is still choppy try setting the buffer to 3/4 window size (they even let you do 2/3 window size) you really don't want to resort to Half buffer because you'll feel like you're playing FFXI again. (you still enjoy the game full screen, the half and 3/4 just refer to the frame buffer ratio it doesn't mean the screen is half-size on your display)

MULTISAMPLE (AA): Again, if resolution is giving you trouble than AntiAliasing is just too much of a luxury for your GPU so you're safer to turn it off entirely (besides at lower resolution and frame buffer you wouldn't be able to appreciate AA anyway)

I know the game experience won't be as sexy with these handicaps but the game will definitely be playable and enjoyable and offers you a nice alternative to at least play the game without having to fork over for an entirely new rig. The bottom line is that this game really needs a desktop solution with a high performance card (GeForce 400 series or ATI HD 5000 series) if you want the luscious effects and resolutions it can offer. It's VERY demanding with the settings on high (but very beautiful too).