Msi ngtx 470 twin frozr 2 vs gtx 470

G

Hello,
can anyone help me? I just bought the msi ngtx 470 twin frozr 2 and i dont think it preforms up to its specs... iplayed mafia 2 on my previous card(gts 250!) and there was no lag on 1080p everything maxed out but my 470 lags and i alomost want to put in the 250 again?

It would be helpful if you listed all your specs, and maybe give us a performance benchmark like 3dmark06 or 3dmark Vantage.

The 470 should be a lot better than your 250.

As for possible problems go, you could have a PSU not capible of running the 470.
You might not have seated the card well, causing it to run at PCIe x1 or x4 (run GPU-Z to find out).
Your drivers may not be properly installed.

G

Specs: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
8.17.12.5896 (7-9-2010) - nvoglv64
GPU:607MHz - Memory:1674MHz - Shader:1215MHz
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33GHz
cpu speed : 3343 MHz
system memory : 4087 MB
Windows 7 64-bit build 7600 [No Service Pack]

i ran a test on mafia 2 and it only puts out like 17 fps. The 250 started at 30 fps and leveld at about 27 fps on the benchmark.

i just ran a test on msi kombustor and the results were:
Res:1920x1080(FS) - AA:16X MSAA - PostFX:OFF
FPS: min=32 max=57 avg=53
Codepath: OpenGL 3
Max GPU Temp: 66°C
SCORE: 3171 points - Time: 60000 m

i hope that helps. and thank you.

G

i got gpu-z . gtx 470 specs:
PCI-E x16 @ x8
i hope that helps. The rest of the test looks normal.
thanx again

G

Sorry last thing my gpus min requirments for a psu is 550 watt and my mboard has a pci-e x16 @x16 speed slot but my gpu is running @ x8?

G

thanx ill try that! :) do you think this is the main problem for my loss of preformance? because isnt it running at half of its speed?

G

hi i just removed my card and reseated it but the problem still exsists. how should it be seated? and what could else be the problem?

XxQuinnzoxX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Sometimes when you seat a card, it isn't flush with the case. So when you go to screw it into the case, a portion of the card is pulled out of the slot. Try re-installing the card without screwing it into the case.

XxQuinnzoxX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Be very careful that you don't break your PCI-E slot. You may want to lay the case on its side to reduce the strain on the slot.

G

i tried everything. i cleaned the slot , reinstalled it and unscrewed it and i still think the seating isnt right even though it looks right. i have a p7p55d-e asus mboard and it has pci-e x16 @x16 slots. i will try refitting it again . if the seating isnt right what else can it cause? thanx

G

i know about the variations and i have the entry model it is just a p7p55d-e.

G

hi my father also has gaming rig and i just took out his msi ngtx 470 and swapped it with my msi ngtx 470 twin frozr 2 to see if there is a problem with the card. this brings me back to my question : Ngtx 470 tf 2 vs gtx 470. he has the standard gtx 470 and on his system it ran really good no lag and so on but i just put his gpu in my system and the same results consists. My bus interface for the pci-e slot is still running at x 8 and not at full speed? is there then something wrong with my mboard? because i dont think there is anything wrong with the gpu then?

G

my brother has the exact same system i have exept for a gts 250 that runs great on everything. i ran the gpu-z on his system this morning and it says that his slot his running at pci-e x16 @x16 2.0 and he has the same mboard i have?

G

i got it working at x16 @x16 but still lacks preformance . i ran mafia 2 and only got 17 fps where i got 27 fps (same settings) on the gts 250 . the gtx 470 ran at 30 fps on my father`s sytem . i really dont know what to do now?

XxQuinnzoxX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
First off - Don't base all of your results off of Mafia II. I'm glad to hear that you have got it working at x16. Go into your video settings in Mafia II, and check to see if Physx is enabled. If Physx is on high, then try setting it to medium or off. Then check the same thing on your father's system. (My 480 gets 30-40fps average in Mafia II with Physx on high)

G

cool thanx and i know i shouldnt base everything of mafia 2 but it was just weird that getting 27 fps on the gts 250 with everything to the max with physx and then getting 17 fps on the gtx (same settings). its like i downgraded but i think its just something to do with my mboard and drivers. yes i know the 480 is a monster! but thank you

G

i did some more research and i saw that the 250 has a faster clock speed than the 470 but then again the 470 has more cores. How much more better is the 470 than the 250?

XxQuinnzoxX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
The 470 should wipe the floor with a 250! There is something not quite right here (Sorry about the delayed response, had 5 problematic computers today I had to fix... o_O)

G

no problem :) thanx. Yes i know the 470 is supposed kick ass but there is is seriously something wrong i changed back to the 250 again and still it owns most of my games in full physx and with everything set to max and still run at 27 fps. either i have a 250 on steriods or my 470 is faulty.