Sign in with
Your question

Money Idea.

Tags:
Last response: in Work & Education
March 25, 2011 9:19:08 PM

Hello.

Lately, I was thinking of cleaning computers for money. I have talked with people, but most say that it is a bad idea. They claim that people do not want a kid cleaning their computer. Also, the liability would be bad as I would have to either repair or replace the damaged hardware.

So, my question is:

What should I do? What other computer related tack can I perform to create a lucrative business?

More about : money idea

March 29, 2011 2:11:56 PM

Well first thing is to get your A+ cert.

I would also recommend getting a job at a local repair shop, just to get experience and see how the biz is run.

If you really want to get into the repair business start off with friends and family getting a few bucks here and there. If you do a good job with people you know they may just recommend you to friends.

Offer to do some pro-bono work for local charities and schools. For example go to your school tell them you want some practice updating and cleaning their machines. And again through word of mouth (if you dont destroy anything and/or make more work for the pros) they might recommend you to the next person who needs some menial computer repair.

Its not that going into business for yourself isnt a good idea its just that you need to get some sort of training before you dive head first into the industry.

P.S. If you delete data you shouldn't have there is the possibility of being sued......... Most businesses have insurance against that sort of thing (BestBuy, Staples, Mom + Pop's etc), thats why I recommend getting a job at an existing company.
March 30, 2011 5:37:06 AM

The best way to learn how to work this business is to either find someone in your local area who is running this type of service, and ask if they'll allow you to work with them. Or, get yourself a computer cleaning business guide that shows you all the things you need to know. It's important that you get some kind of expert training, because you'll be working with an expensive piece of equipment. Yes, the client's computer is not working right, but you want to be sure you don't do something that makes it worse.

Quality scales
Related resources
March 30, 2011 4:27:42 PM

Your school will not let you touch there computers for one they have an IT person to do that. Start with family then maybe look for a local shop. I would also make sure the persons computer you are working on signs a paper stating you are not responsible for data loss.
March 30, 2011 4:59:45 PM

We used to help out our IT guy in high school all the time doing sh*t work.
!