Feature enhancement: SMS/MMS Delivery Failure notices

Last response: in Network Providers
April 27, 2005 3:12:07 PM

Holy cow Batman can you say progress?! Discovered this by accident
just yesterday.

Cingular has made a subtle yet important improvement in their text
messaging services (SMS/MMS). If you send a message to an invalid
email address, you now receive notification of the delivery failure!

As you probably know, text messenging allows you to send short messages
directly to another person's phone. It's also the underlying service
that's used when paging someones cell phone. What you may not have
known is SMS/MMS can gateway to the Internet and send messages to an
email address. It requires special syntax in the message, but by
using text messaging to send email, you can forego purchasing your
wireless carrier's email service.

In the past, the only downside to using text messaging for this purpose
was lack of delivery failure notices. So, you never really knew if
your message was delivered or not. Now, you do. It's great news for
those of us who like a little certainty with our technology.

Jim
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 6:06:06 AM

Jim:

Where can one find the syntax that can used in a text message to cause an
email to be generated?

Thanks.

Bob

<sfx96-groups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Holy cow Batman can you say progress?! Discovered this by accident
> just yesterday.
>
> Cingular has made a subtle yet important improvement in their text
> messaging services (SMS/MMS). If you send a message to an invalid
> email address, you now receive notification of the delivery failure!
>
> As you probably know, text messenging allows you to send short messages
> directly to another person's phone. It's also the underlying service
> that's used when paging someones cell phone. What you may not have
> known is SMS/MMS can gateway to the Internet and send messages to an
> email address. It requires special syntax in the message, but by
> using text messaging to send email, you can forego purchasing your
> wireless carrier's email service.
>
> In the past, the only downside to using text messaging for this purpose
> was lack of delivery failure notices. So, you never really knew if
> your message was delivered or not. Now, you do. It's great news for
> those of us who like a little certainty with our technology.
>
> Jim

It has removed 2769 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
May 10, 2005 10:19:41 PM

I have always been able to send a SMS as an e-mail. I have also gotten
failure notices for sending to an incorrect address or wireless #. Its not
new here in the North East.

"Bob L." <bob_lally@prophezine.com> wrote in message
> Jim:
>
> Where can one find the syntax that can used in a text message to cause an
> email to be generated?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob
>
> <sfx96-groups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Holy cow Batman can you say progress?! Discovered this by accident
>> just yesterday.
>>
>> Cingular has made a subtle yet important improvement in their text
>> messaging services (SMS/MMS). If you send a message to an invalid
>> email address, you now receive notification of the delivery failure!
>>
>> As you probably know, text messenging allows you to send short messages
>> directly to another person's phone. It's also the underlying service
>> that's used when paging someones cell phone. What you may not have
>> known is SMS/MMS can gateway to the Internet and send messages to an
>> email address. It requires special syntax in the message, but by
>> using text messaging to send email, you can forego purchasing your
>> wireless carrier's email service.
>>
>> In the past, the only downside to using text messaging for this purpose
>> was lack of delivery failure notices. So, you never really knew if
>> your message was delivered or not. Now, you do. It's great news for
>> those of us who like a little certainty with our technology.
>>
>> Jim

> It has removed 2769 spam emails to date.
> Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:00:24 PM

The following works for me on Cingular service. I have heard Cingular
uses different gateway codes for different parts of the country, but
111 seems to work most places.

If this message appears poorly word-wrapped, pardon the confusion. I'm
still trying to figure out how to post these messages correctly.

Jim

SMS
*****
To: <SMS gateway code for Cingular>
Body: <destination email address>() <mssg text>

Example:
To: 111
Body: john.doe@yahoo.com (What's up?) Hi, how are you?

Be aware, the parens act as delimiters for Subject Line text. The
parens themselves are required, but you don't have to include text.
Just means the mail message will display no subject line.

MMS
******
Syntax:

To: <destination email address>