Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

OTish:Photoshop question

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:06:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have a child with very curly hair, and sometimes want to be able to knock
out the background from pictures I have taken so that I can superimpose him
over something else.

I have been having a devil of a time trying to make decent selections in
Photoshop CS to allow me to do this.

Anyone know any tips or tricks for making these type of selections ?

Sample image is here:

http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/142542/1/5224613

So you can see the problem. It's basically the hair and how to select that.
CS "Extract" filter can't do it, and I haven't been able to get the results
I want with either selection or masking techniques so far....
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:06:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:8d2dnRePV8f7qXXcRVn-rg@giganews.com...
>I have a child with very curly hair, and sometimes want to be able to knock
>out the background from pictures I have taken so that I can superimpose him
>over something else.
>
> I have been having a devil of a time trying to make decent selections in
> Photoshop CS to allow me to do this.
>
> Anyone know any tips or tricks for making these type of selections ?

Check out Martin Evening's Photoshop CS for Photographers.
http://tinyurl.com/65qem (Amazon link)


He goes into quite a bit of detail about this in particular and montage
techniques in general.

Rob
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:06:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

adm wrote:
> I have a child with very curly hair, and sometimes want to be able to knock
> out the background from pictures I have taken so that I can superimpose him
> over something else.
>
> I have been having a devil of a time trying to make decent selections in
> Photoshop CS to allow me to do this.
>
> Anyone know any tips or tricks for making these type of selections ?
>
> Sample image is here:
>
> http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/142542/1/5224613
>
> So you can see the problem. It's basically the hair and how to select that.
> CS "Extract" filter can't do it, and I haven't been able to get the results
> I want with either selection or masking techniques so far....

You're right about the Extract filter not being the right one. It'd be
helpful if you shot the next ones against a solid blue or green
background, then you can select that color, feather it, and get rid of
it. As to the one you posted, it's always possible, but many hours of
work. But do try the straight Shadow-Highlight Adjustment. It may blow
you away on that image.

--
John McWilliams

ps There's also a PS NG.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:06:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

John McWilliams wrote:
>
> adm wrote:
> > I have a child with very curly hair, and sometimes want to be able to knock
> > out the background from pictures I have taken so that I can superimpose him
> > over something else.
> >
> > I have been having a devil of a time trying to make decent selections in
> > Photoshop CS to allow me to do this.
> >
> > Anyone know any tips or tricks for making these type of selections ?
> >
> > Sample image is here:
> >
> > http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/142542/1/5224613
> >
> > So you can see the problem. It's basically the hair and how to select that.
> > CS "Extract" filter can't do it, and I haven't been able to get the results
> > I want with either selection or masking techniques so far....
>
> You're right about the Extract filter not being the right one.

check knockout plugin for ps.

> It'd be
> helpful if you shot the next ones against a solid blue or green
> background, then you can select that color, feather it, and get rid of
> it. As to the one you posted, it's always possible, but many hours of
> work. But do try the straight Shadow-Highlight Adjustment. It may blow
> you away on that image.
>
> --
> John McWilliams
>
> ps There's also a PS NG.
January 15, 2005 3:58:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I think I'd first try the "BarberShop Filter".........;-0


"adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:8d2dnRePV8f7qXXcRVn-rg@giganews.com...
> I have a child with very curly hair, and sometimes want to be able to
knock
> out the background from pictures I have taken so that I can superimpose
him
> over something else.
>
> I have been having a devil of a time trying to make decent selections in
> Photoshop CS to allow me to do this.
>
> Anyone know any tips or tricks for making these type of selections ?
>
> Sample image is here:
>
> http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/142542/1/5224613
>
> So you can see the problem. It's basically the hair and how to select
that.
> CS "Extract" filter can't do it, and I haven't been able to get the
results
> I want with either selection or masking techniques so far....
>
>
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:25:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:46SdnYYJacYj0nXcRVn-jA@comcast.com...
> adm wrote:
>> I have a child with very curly hair, and sometimes want to be able to
>> knock out the background from pictures I have taken so that I can
>> superimpose him over something else.
>>
>> I have been having a devil of a time trying to make decent selections in
>> Photoshop CS to allow me to do this.
>>
>> Anyone know any tips or tricks for making these type of selections ?
>>
>> Sample image is here:
>>
>> http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/142542/1/5224613
>>
>> So you can see the problem. It's basically the hair and how to select
>> that. CS "Extract" filter can't do it, and I haven't been able to get the
>> results I want with either selection or masking techniques so far....
>
> You're right about the Extract filter not being the right one. It'd be
> helpful if you shot the next ones against a solid blue or green
> background, then you can select that color, feather it, and get rid of it.

Good idea- I'll give that a try and then use the Select Colour option.

>As to the one you posted, it's always possible, but many hours of work.

That was just a pic to show how curly his hair is - I don't intend to try
that one !
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:27:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Robert Jordan" <rjordan@isomedia.com> wrote in message
news:cs9f1m$6rc$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>
> "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> news:8d2dnRePV8f7qXXcRVn-rg@giganews.com...
>>I have a child with very curly hair, and sometimes want to be able to
>>knock out the background from pictures I have taken so that I can
>>superimpose him over something else.
>>
>> I have been having a devil of a time trying to make decent selections in
>> Photoshop CS to allow me to do this.
>>
>> Anyone know any tips or tricks for making these type of selections ?
>
> Check out Martin Evening's Photoshop CS for Photographers.
> http://tinyurl.com/65qem (Amazon link)
>
>
> He goes into quite a bit of detail about this in particular and montage
> techniques in general.

That looks like an exellent book and is now on order.

Thanks for the link.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:30:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote in message
news:YUZFd.137376$Uf.98548@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I think I'd first try the "BarberShop Filter".........;-0

We did do when he started school - but it keeps growing.
!