Computer Freezes with White squares.

Hi guys, I am having problems with my new Nvidia EVGA 465GTX 1 gb card (voltage tweaked one).

I can run games fine, I can run battle field bad company 2 on high and other games however.. I get these weird computer freezes...

The computer would freeze (usually after i just booted up, or when I'm browsing the internet... I can still move my mouse... but i can't click anything else and these weird white squares (numerous) appear along with some rainbowish lines on my screen.

I don't know what's causing this.... The weird part is that this has only happened to me 4 times. When the problem occurred I rebooted my computer and everything ran fine again... I could run the computer for hours without any problems... then maybe after a week this problem randomly happens again.

I never had this problem with my old 8800 GT. My computer has 3 fans... and i doubt this is an overheating problem.

Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about computer freezes white squares
  1. Card overclocked? Back it of. If not there might be something wrong with the card.
  2. I have not overclocked it or anything... I am very clueless when it comes to that stuff.... Basictly its just the card with the latest nvidia driver update
  3. What is the size, model and brand of your PSU?
  4. COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-600-PCAR 600W ATX from factor 12V V2.01 Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171013
  5. That PSU is on the limit of providing enough power for the GTX465 It does not show total amps on the +12volt rail but usually 2 rails of 18 amps means about 30amps total. This might be the reason for your issues.
    Here is EVGA's recommended PSU size; "Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply.
    (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.) "
  6. Here is a good deal after MIR on a replacement http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
    Corsair is a Quality brand!
  7. I am on a tight budget actually after buying the card.

If I stay with my current PSU regardless of the freezes will it damage the system?
  8. Eventually it can lead to PSU failure that can damage other parts of the computer with it. Your CM EP PSU is their cheapest made and have a history of not being reliable.
  9. Hi again... So I replaced my PSU with a new one... the Coolermaster 750 W gx....

And its still doing it.... Could it be a video card defect...
  10. Yes it can be defective card as well.
  11. Most probably it is an Issue with your VRAM, your VRAM might be overheating causing the system to freeze and showing squares or dots. I recommend get it RMA, it might be a faulty card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Games Graphics Product