Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading from C2D E6750 to i7 2600K

Last response: in Motherboards
a c 328 V Motherboard
October 14, 2011 7:03:11 AM

Upgrading from C2D E6750 to i7 2600K and I need new mobo and RAM for x64 system.

I have a Gigabyte mobo, so I like Gigabyte, and read good things about ASUS,

I will hook up at least 3-4 SATA2 and 1-2 SATA3. I have HD5550 GPU

What is exactly dual and/or triple memory RAM good for? I will OC some. I will not play games, audio, video and CS5 editing.

I want 12 to 18GB RAM

How is the traditional BIOS vs EFI . Do all mobos have it now, EFI?

And I will spend around $140 - $180. So what's the coolest stuff out there?

Other brands are considered too.

Thanx

Best solution

a c 75 V Motherboard
October 14, 2011 3:56:13 PM

Gigabyte does make some good boards and I would advise that you look at GA-Z68XP-UD3 which is a night little board that was a Tom’s Recommended Buy and is right in your price range. With this board if you use 4 sticks of DDR 3 4GB that give you 16GB of RAM. The difference between dual channel and triple channel is total bus bandwidth. Triple channel memory is run in groups of 3 and isn’t supported on the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors like the Intel Core i7-2600K. Also on the memory make sure that you select DDR 3 rated at 1.5v.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
October 14, 2011 4:16:36 PM

I recommend the Asus P8Z68-V for it's cheaper than your budget and pretty nice. If you want a couple more SATA III ports you can get the Pro version, which is more expensive though.

To accompany it, I suggest a pack of 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile kit for their very nice overclocking capability, and the low profile for that hefty-ass cooler you might want to throw in.

For the dual vs triple channel memory, it's all about bandwidth but most CPUs and MOBOs today work in pairs. Check this out if you want to know further.

EFI works something like the BIOS, but it is more secure (at least against bootware) and more user-friendly than BIOS (for it supports, for example, mouse-controlling)
Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
October 15, 2011 12:05:22 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Gigabyte does make some good boards and I would advise that you look at GA-Z68XP-UD3 which is a night little board that was a Tom’s Recommended Buy and is right in your price range. With this board if you use 4 sticks of DDR 3 4GB that give you 16GB of RAM. The difference between dual channel and triple channel is total bus bandwidth. Triple channel memory is run in groups of 3 and isn’t supported on the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors like the Intel Core i7-2600K. Also on the memory make sure that you select DDR 3 rated at 1.5v.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Hi,

is there any difference in using same amount of GB's in the RAM, but using more sticks with smaller GB size? Does it matter at all? or its just more convenient?

Is there a real benefit to the dual or the triple channel? Better for OC or it is just better for games? Will it affect the speed performance of the PC, in any noticeable way?
October 15, 2011 2:30:18 AM

Yes, i have the GA-Z68X-UD3H. It's an amazing board, and got it for a good price. It also support SLI/Crossfire.

for RAM, go with the 8GB Corsair Vengenace kit, or the 16GB one. 1155/z68 does not support triple channel.

Get a good cooler to, the Hyper 212 (new version) is a great choice.

All the best,
NocredRS
October 15, 2011 2:36:40 AM

As far as I know, the more sticks you have is the more load your memory processor has to handle, so yes - memory density matters.

The most noticeable benefit from Dual Channel is that Sandy Bridge supports dual channel, and so a better system overall is a dual channel one. Other than that, no big deal.
October 15, 2011 5:24:32 PM

The board in my sig is highly recomended
a c 328 V Motherboard
October 16, 2011 10:28:10 AM

Thanx everybody, I am going with the Gigabyte^.
a c 328 V Motherboard
October 16, 2011 10:28:38 AM

Best answer selected by nikorr.
!