Good flat panel monitors for gaming???

Last response: in Video Games
a b 4 Gaming
November 15, 2004 3:22:54 PM

A general question for all...

What should one look at in specs for a flat panel display suitable for
demanding games and $500 video cards? What's the optimal acceptable
contrast ratio? Is 25ms fast enough for UT2k4 or HL2, or go for 16ms?
I'd like a 19" at least, but havn't seen one yet lower than 25ms..will
this do? Any preferred brands/models gamers currently are standing by?
Anyone know of a site where a *recent* test was done on some of these?
Should I just stick with a high quality CRT instead?

Thanks for any comments on what's out there!!
Mike
November 15, 2004 5:17:54 PM

> What should one look at in specs for a flat panel display suitable for
> demanding games and $500 video cards? What's the optimal acceptable
> contrast ratio? Is 25ms fast enough for UT2k4 or HL2, or go for 16ms?
> I'd like a 19" at least, but havn't seen one yet lower than 25ms..will
> this do? Any preferred brands/models gamers currently are standing by?
> Anyone know of a site where a *recent* test was done on some of these?
> Should I just stick with a high quality CRT instead?

Stick with a good CRT.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
November 16, 2004 1:43:07 AM

> What should one look at in specs for a flat panel display suitable for
> demanding games and $500 video cards? What's the optimal acceptable
> contrast ratio? Is 25ms fast enough for UT2k4 or HL2, or go for 16ms?

These millisecond timings are essentially useless PR since it's the time
for black to white to black (or vice versa) and says nothing about
colours. Better check some gaming related reviews of LCDs, there are
definitly usable ones available.

> I'd like a 19" at least, but havn't seen one yet lower than 25ms..will
> this do?

I have a 18.1 NEC (that I didn't buy for gaming primarily) which
according to the specs also has 25ms and it's working just fine with
UT2004 and other fastpaced games, only time I could make it show some
slight blur was when *very* quickly wiggling the view while looking down
on a (white armored, in case you are StarWars-Agnostic ;)  Stormtrooper
lying on an imperial-darkgrey floor in Jedi Knight.

-Thomas
Related resources
November 16, 2004 3:30:08 AM

you can already buy some 16ms panel which I have heard are very good for
gaming

JC

"Xiccarph" <portw002@tc.umn.edu> wrote in message
>A general question for all...
>
> What should one look at in specs for a flat panel display suitable for
> demanding games and $500 video cards? What's the optimal acceptable
> contrast ratio? Is 25ms fast enough for UT2k4 or HL2, or go for 16ms? I'd
> like a 19" at least, but havn't seen one yet lower than 25ms..will this
> do? Any preferred brands/models gamers currently are standing by? Anyone
> know of a site where a *recent* test was done on some of these? Should I
> just stick with a high quality CRT instead?
>
> Thanks for any comments on what's out there!!
> Mike
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
November 16, 2004 3:30:09 AM

furthermore, there are supposedly 12ms flat panels coming out. Also
consider the card you're using and of course, it should be proper
connection for flat panel. I thought the minimum for top-quality gaming
was 16ms but I'm no expert. And too (as was mentioned) color quality,
black colors that washout gray, is an issue as well. For the money, you
can get a helluva CRT and take the money saved for more / better quality
RAM, a kickass video card, better mobo, or a more refined cooling system.

Hi JC, how's it goin' on the other side of the pond mate?!

FeldrewCo30

JC wrote:
> you can already buy some 16ms panel which I have heard are very good for
> gaming
>
> JC
>
> "Xiccarph" <portw002@tc.umn.edu> wrote in message
>
>>A general question for all...
>>
>>What should one look at in specs for a flat panel display suitable for
>>demanding games and $500 video cards? What's the optimal acceptable
>>contrast ratio? Is 25ms fast enough for UT2k4 or HL2, or go for 16ms? I'd
>>like a 19" at least, but havn't seen one yet lower than 25ms..will this
>>do? Any preferred brands/models gamers currently are standing by? Anyone
>>know of a site where a *recent* test was done on some of these? Should I
>>just stick with a high quality CRT instead?
>>
>>Thanks for any comments on what's out there!!
>>Mike

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
November 16, 2004 6:46:57 AM

Xiccarph <portw002@tc.umn.edu> wrote in news:cnas4n$167$1@lenny.tc.umn.edu:

> A general question for all...
>
> What should one look at in specs for a flat panel display suitable for
> demanding games and $500 video cards? What's the optimal acceptable
> contrast ratio? Is 25ms fast enough for UT2k4 or HL2, or go for 16ms?
> I'd like a 19" at least, but havn't seen one yet lower than 25ms..will
> this do? Any preferred brands/models gamers currently are standing by?
> Anyone know of a site where a *recent* test was done on some of these?
> Should I just stick with a high quality CRT instead?
>
> Thanks for any comments on what's out there!!
> Mike

I've got a Samsung 712N (12ms) which works great for gaming, no problems at
all :)
November 16, 2004 4:41:55 PM

All things are fine, spending time between Portugal and the UK now.
I really like the UK once I got used to the weather :-)
Do be careful with sticky toffee pudding, you won't believe how fast the
pounds start to ad up muahahahahaha

JC

!