Sign in with
Your question

Budget Gaming PC Getting Old

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2010 10:35:44 AM

Hi Guys,

First post here, so be gentle. Pretty simple question, my budget gaming PC is coming up to 2 and a half years old now and it's showing signs of its age. My specs are in my sig but here they are anyway:

Intel Q6600 @2.4GHz with a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L Motherboard
2x OCZ 2GB DDR2 800Mhz
XFX 9800GT with Accelero Twin Turbo cooler
Corsair HX520W PSU
Antec 300 case

My graphics card had a funny turn the other day so I opened up my PC to check everything was alright and I noticed the 3 capacitors on the end of the board are bulging and spewing out fluff which concerns me slightly. I occasionally do some component level repair at work, so I could probably replace the capacitors and keep my 9800GT running for a little longer but I'm tempted to upgrade my system.

So looking at my current spec, and baring in mind that I'm on a very tight budget, what components would offer me the biggest performance gain? I'm tempted to splash out on a GTX 460 but how much longer do you think my Q6600 will last me?

Thanks in advance.

More about : budget gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 16, 2010 10:40:07 AM

with a GTX 460 and another 2 GB of RAM, you shoudl be able to hold out for another year or so.
November 16, 2010 11:27:14 AM

another 2GB? I'm currently running 32bit XP Pro, would you suggest I upgrade to 64bit Win7 or something then?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 16, 2010 12:08:03 PM

Yep games aren't even X4 optimizes while 2.4ghz for modern games paired with most current GPUs is a tad low ^^

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...
Quote:
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

November 16, 2010 2:27:14 PM

I have in the past overclocked my Q6600 up to 3GHz and if I put my mind to it, I'm sure I could get even more out of it. So I guess I could make it last another year or so.

Thanks for your responses, looks like I might just go get me a GTX 460.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 17, 2010 2:06:45 AM

Yep u are welcomed and glad we helped ^^
!