Your question

Please take a look at my build, all recommendations welcome

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2010 11:58:46 AM

I don't intend to OC and I am thinking of possibly adding another gpu in the future. (pasted my cart with a little cleanup)

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory (getting two sets)

Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

EVGA GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 012-P3-1470-AR Video Card

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R ATX Intel Motherboard

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

Antec Dark Fleet DF-30 Black Computer Case

More about : build recommendations

November 16, 2010 12:35:07 PM

Looks like a great build my friend however, I'd probably recommend waiting till thje 59xx series.. They'll blow away that 470

That way you can crossfire those suckers together

For a case, check out the NZXT Phantom if you're into full towers, or NZXT Lexa S if you're into Mid Tower cases

Just figured Id give some suggestions

Plus if you go with the Radeons, you can get yourself 2 more monitors and get yourself a super kick ass Eyefinity setup :) 

m
l
November 16, 2010 12:59:48 PM

I worked at compusa before they went out of business and I built a number of systems while I worked there as well as a few personal systems over the years. My first card was an ATI but ever since I've bought nvidia. I don't have anything against ATI my hardware knowledge has lagged behind on their products and on hardware in general since i switched jobs.

if you could recommended something in the 250 or maybe a little more if its a big bonus i'm not set against an ATI card.

Thanks in advance for your comment and any others

P.S. i plan on buying sometime in the next 48 hours.

ha ha P.P.S. that NZXT Phantom looks pretty sleek I do like full towers and I've never bought their products always stuck to Antec/Coolermaster in the past based on price point and availability. Are the NZXT cases well constructed? because this will probably have to last me another 5 years like my current pc has.
m
l
Related resources
November 16, 2010 9:38:35 PM

any one else have any recommendations?
m
l
November 16, 2010 9:51:31 PM

1000W is overkill, even for a dual-470 build. Check out www.slizone.com for recommended PSUs. I think you could easily go down to 850W, possibly even 750. The XFX 850W power supply received an excellent review from jonnyguru.com and is 80+ Silver certified, and is currently one of the best deals at $150. There is also a Corsair 850HX for $170. (Or the non-modular 850TX for $130 or so.)

For an i7-950 build, you may want to get 6 GB RAM in order to make use of the i7's triple channel memory controller.

Tom's rates the 6870 and the 470 as tied, so I would suggest making your decision based on price, warranty, and other features. nVidia - 3D gaming, AMD - Eyefinity (3+ monitors on a single card)...other than those differences, there's not a lot separating the two companies in the gaming field at the moment.

Today, the cheapest 6870 is $260, while the cheapest 470 is $250. There are a number of $230 6870s that are currently out of stock, so if you decide to buy in a few days, check again to see if they're back in stock.
m
l
November 16, 2010 10:10:55 PM

You could save a few dollars by going with an Asus sabretooth board and an xfx power supply and then get the xfx black edition 6870.

Also your Ram kit would not take advantage of triple channel bandwidth and controller so this kit should suit your build much better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Whatever you chose, just enjoy the build and have fun with it.
m
l
November 17, 2010 12:05:20 AM

do i specifically need to buy a triple channel kit, as in is there something inherently different in the way they're made or can i buy 3 of a different kind of ram... i'd like more than 6 gigs even though it's probably overkill for now and i'm not to impressed with the 2200/1333 3 packs that newegg has up.

i was borrowing from "This" best configs post and even though the mobo says it supports DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 eloric picked 1600 ram... was that an oversight or am i missing something?
m
l
November 17, 2010 2:36:13 AM

You don't need to buy a triple channel kit. It's sometimes recommended, as the sticks in a kit should come from the same batch and have the same tolerances and such, but any 3 (or 6) sticks with the same timings & speed should just work. It's just easier to get that with a kit.

Many people consider this G.Skill PI Series 6 GB kit (CAS 7, 1600 MHz, 1.5 V) to be a good deal, though their heatspreaders interfere with bigger HSFs. There's also a CAS 6 kit for $20 more that runs at 1.6V. At the other end of the spectrum, there are a number of CAS 9 2000 MHz 6 GB kits that you might look at.

Right now, there's no need for more than 4-6 GB for a gaming build. If you're planning on doing some video/audio editing or photoshop, you might consider more.

Commonly, the mobo will list the standard (up to 1333 MHz) and the top-end speeds it will support, leaving the rest as an exercise for the overclocker.
m
l
!