Which existing games have the highest system requriements

emmanuelxian07

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Sorry if I posted this question here. My reason is that I need to know which processor to choose if I plan to do a lot of gaming. Please tell me which games have the highest system requirements. That's all I need to know. I'll decide which processor to get right after. Thanks!!

This is a very tough time to choose a processor since in reality a Phenom II x4 is all that is needed to play all modern games at pretty much full everything. Gaming is more dependant on the GPU so that is where I would start.

What resolution do you have planned for your monitior that will determine how badass of a GPU you will need.

As for processor choices like I said its tough the best choose is the I5 2500K but since its chipset is having issues you will have to wait til April to get them if you can wait I suggest doing so. If you can't wait then the I7 950 would be my second choice followed by the I5750 and then the Phenom II 965 BE.

If money is no object and you want to build right now then go with an I7 950 and a couple of GTX 580's in SLI with 12 Gigs of RAM with a few SSD's in RAID. Without a budget and a resolution you plan on gaming at its tough to give suggestions.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
A Phenom II 955 is just as good as a i5 750 for gaming and multitasking,and has an unlocked multiplier that does give a pretty decent improvement in performance without touching voltages and for gaming it'll be almost the same as a i7 950 at half the price, though you will see quite an improvement for video encoding and such with the i7, but it's a dead platform now.

The 2500k would be the best bang for buck but due to intel's big chipset messup you'll have to wait several more months unless you can live with the thought of having a potentially defective motherboard.

emmanuelxian07

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Thanks for answering my question, but are you really serious? And is it really true that the Phenom II x2 555 can run 100% of the games? I checked the system requirements and it says I'll only need a Core 2 Duo or tri-core Athlon to run those games. If this is true and if I do use a Phenom II x2 555 processor, will my gaming experience suck?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
yea, higher end gaming mostly has to do with graphics card. phenom II x2 555 will run most games out there pretty well, but as games are startign to use up to 3 and sometimes 4 coes i'd still reccomend a true 4 core and at the very least a dual core intel with hyperthreading , really a 955 is a good starting poiont as l3 cache is definatly worth having if ouyou can afford it, but if not i'd take a athlon IIx4 over a phenom II x2

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Performance/price-wise, the core i3 2100 outperforms the Phenom II x6 in CPU intensive games. Which is pretty sad if you ask me. So that's a pretty good bet for a cheap processor that will dominate all the games you throw at it.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Rise of Flight has extremely high CPU requirements.
Recommended Intel® Core™ Quad 3 GHz or Intel i7 3 GHz

http://riseofflight.com/en/about/features

Another one is the upcoming (next month release) iL-2 Sturmovik-Cliffs of Dover

(Intel Core i5 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 2.6GHz recommended)

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/6811032709

However from most of the test video's shown this one (iL-2-COD) runs like crap on lower quad core PC's and can have low frame rates at low altitude flight battles.It could even run crappy at some times on oc i7-2600K CPU based systems.

Definitely both of these PC Combat Flight Simulators would be better for future more powerful CPU based systems.

emmanuelxian07

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

That is actually one of the processors I was considering, but i3 2100 won't be released 'till the 20th of this month, right? So I still can't buy this yet, and a bigger problem is the P67 motherboard availability. However, I am willing to wait if the i3 2100 will give me a better bang for the buck compared to the Phenom II x4 955 BE. The reason why I'm really hesitant to invest on the Phenom 955 is because it was released about 2 years ago and I'm afraid it will be useless after about 1 or 2 years. Last I heard, AMD will stop producing new processors that are compatible with the AM3 socket so I can't upgrade anymore if I invest on the 890 AM3 board. At least if I invest a big sum of money on the P67 LGA 1155 mobo, I'll have upgrade options up until next year for the processor.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Rise of Flight uses four cores and more than 1gb GPU memory. Very demanding, the minimum system specs. don't even come close to what you need to max it out.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Generally no one would want to run these PC combat flight sims on the minimum specs.In reality the recommended specs should be the minimum specs.Even the recommended specs are inadequate for great game play.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

DIRECT X 11. ALL OF THEM....

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
yea i always forget about flight sims with thier huge draw distances... mostly because i find them boring as hell

as for GTA IV no need mentioning that POS its a fun game but a bad console port, badly coded for pc, for the graphics quality you get for a really powerful machine its just badly done , my 450's in sli aren't the strongest out there but my machine stutters sometimes, but in my defense one intel systelm i helped a friend build with an i7 950 and 2x 470's in sli also gets stuttering and occational freezes on gta IV

as for the computer its just an odd time, sandy bridge is awsome... tbut there's the cougar point issue to deal with knowing you might need to use a pci slot to get proper sata connections or in a few years see them degrade isn't the best proposition, and AMD has been just revising the same archetecture for a few years now (though to be fair i love my phenom II 955 i can't wait for a decent upgrade to appear it'll be SB (or possible ivy bridge) vs bulldozer once the benchmarks are out for my $

also to confirm above bulldozer processors will NOT be able to go into a am3 mobo it will be am3+ but you can put a am3 processor in a am3+ board

as the OP needs to buy now i'd say it really depends on your budget, i'm go with whatever SB is out personally and just wiat till the fix the p67 issue and then rma the board for a proper one sne you said you can't wait for BD

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I wouldn't even say wait until they fix the P67 issue, just go sandybridge. The issue will be sorted in due time with the recall, and until then you have your sataIII ports.

Back to the question: GTAIV is a bad representative in my view, it's more dependent on tweaking it correctly than raw power due to the very low quality of the port.

For hammering the CPU it's all down to things like flight simulators, on a catsplosion on dwarf fortress.

For overall system stressing Metro2033 on DX11 is where it sits, that certainly will grill a system more than Crysis, I can't say for Lost Planet 2 as I've never benchmarked with it.

As stated before a budget would really help, or atleast knowing what video card you're going to chose. There's no point in getting a great CPU if your GPU will bottleneck.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Flight Sim X

Yeah that too.Capable of using up to 32 CPU cores.Funny and strange how a 1 GHz Processor is the minimum requirement because a 3.2 Ghz P4 system runs the demo like a slideshow.Many people run this on oc 4 Ghz Intel quad core systems usually the i7's or an i5 now just so it runs good.

Another one is the Digital Combat Simulator DCS Black Shark recommended CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850+, AMD Phenom 9850+ and the upcoming (but you can buy the latest beta version)
DCS A-10C Warthog recommended CPU Intel Core i7-970

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Wow a 6 core Intel Core i7 -970 Gulftown as the recommended CPU that's got to be the highest recommended CPU requirements that I've seen so far for any PC flight simulator or even any game.It would probably be a good match for a Core i7-2600K system too.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

turn windows event log off and i garentee it stop.

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
It really is a question of your GPU. Get a GTX5XX card a HD6XXXX and you should run about anything. Good news is nearly all the new cards are SLI/Crossfire so 2 or so years from now when games start to slow down buy a second one for half the price and slap it in there :) Just think ahead and get a Large PSU (more then you really need remember it slowly loses power overtime).

I feel skeptical about that my Deneb 945 Phenom II Quad is on par with a core 2 quad, but it really doesn't matter since i wont buy intel.

Anyway, my Quad can multibox 5 wow accounts and play Dead space 2 on max graphics. this is a GTX275(EVGA) so it's couple years old.

As far as games like Metro 2033, i don't understand how they even make money on a game that requires a very Strong PC to run. WoW would lose over 80% of their customers if they had specs like that.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I think the most CPU demanding games are Flight Simulator X, Rise of Flight and some RTS's like Supreme Commander, I recall some instances where there would be 2000+ units on a map, that's some CPU abuse.
But, as many already pointed out, the most important factor in 99% of games is your GPU.

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Hmm good question, I always assumed that multiple units on a field would be under the CPU not the GPU right?

I know Medieval Total War 2 is a older game, but i used the hack to allow unlimited units on the field and in the Large fights i could see my computer work a bit harder doing this then it would running a normal game with better graphics.

Flightsim can test you card pretty well, but who really plays this game? or why do they still make it? Unless the Airforce is using it for training before they entrust some rookie with a multi million dollar plane i can't see a use for it : P

TRENDING THREADS