Making new gaming rig. Dont know if I should wait.

ichi

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Hello I like like to start off by listing my main items. ((((Budget $1000))))
What I picked out:

CPU
-Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor ($299.00)

Video Card
-MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 ($199.00)

I dident pick any out yet but what I plan on getting:

-8gb. DDR3 Ram
-MotherBoard intel
-850w Power Supply

These 3 around $400 more dollars.

Couple Questions:

-Is there a better CPU that I should wait for thats coming out?

-Whats the price difference on black friday I never bought anything in my life on black fridays. I go to Newegg.com for my computer parts. Like would the i7 be cheaper?

-My friend was kinda shocked at the prices of the i7 have they gone up?

-Last question if there isen't anything that I should wait for what are some items you would recommended getting instead. Thanks for the help

festerovic

Distinguished
Black friday is the day after thanksgiving (its in Nov.). Also the deals are random, you can't count on the chip you want being on sale. Also, the new i7s are out. If you are changing platforms, you might as well get the newest. The i7- 2600k outpaces the i7-950 for about the same money, and is a better value.

I would wait until sandy bridge boards are back on sale.

ichi

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

How much were they on sale? I see one for $290.

The sandy bridge 2500K cpu is much superior, and cheaper. It competes with the i7-980X in some apps. It is already out. The problem is that the required P67 chips had a minor defect and are being replaced. It will probably be March or April before you can get one, unless you can buy one on e-bay or wherever.
If you can wait, then wait.

festerovic

Distinguished
Best Gaming CPU for $330: (or for any price)
Core i7-2600K

from the Toms CPU article Best Gaming CPUs Jan11.

I thought he was in the market for a ~$300 chip. And the 2500k might be a better bang for the buck it is not the better chip.

OP, do you plan on running SLI? If not the 850 watt PSU may be overkill.