Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Random crashes on 5770 gaming rig

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 24, 2010 3:43:43 AM

I just finished building my first computer :D  (specs below) and now after a week of use, I notice it starts randomly crashing (maybe once every 2 days). It happens most after I minimize a game like Dirt 2 or Sims 3 and I'm browsing the web with Chrome. After a few minutes my keyboard freezes and my mouse isn't far behind, everything stops responding and I'm forced to restart my computer. The weird thing is, when I restart windows and load Chrome up again, all of my installed "Chrome Extensions" are gone. I've never had a problem like this before and have no idea how to troubleshoot it. ALL help is much appreciated! I have all latest drivers and Catalyst (10.9) Complete specs are ...

Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Phenom II x 4 955 3.2Ghz (Idle temps 27 C, the highest I've seen it is 48 C)
XFX HD Radeon 5770 1GB
MSI 890fxa-gd70
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ripjaw series
Antec Neo Eco 620W

Nothing has ever been overclocked (probably never will be either)

Best solution

a c 189 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 4:26:53 AM

So, uninstall your driver, use Driver Sweeper on safe mode, re-boot and install older drivers like 10.3 or 10.4, that's the most stable driver for now...
September 24, 2010 4:06:43 PM

Ok, so its a driver problem? I'll try that, thanks.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 4:39:09 PM

Yea, you try alt+entering games?
Minimizing and then bringing them back up isn't the best idea. If it's windows mode it doesn't struggle as much.

Driver issues are a normal problem with AMD as they release every month.
Score
September 26, 2010 1:10:50 AM

Ok, I uninstalled the driver and wiped it with driver sweeper (in safe mode) I restarted windows, and it crashed again (without any display drivers). But this time, it is consistently crashing when I try to attach pics to an email. It turns out these pics are from my Hitatchi 500GB portable external hard drive, and I think that is why its crashing. When I attach a pic from my internal drive, it works. Is my external HDD just dying? Or do I need a new driver or something?
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 1:16:25 AM

It could be..
Then try your external drive in different system or you can check for errors (Properties-Tools-Check for errors).
Score
September 26, 2010 2:13:54 AM

Ok, its not the external HDD, I tested it and its all good. I tried attaching pictures from my Internal HDD again, and now that crashes too! I did some research, and one guy had the exact same problem, he replaced his modem and it was fixed. So maybe it's my cheap WiFi card :p  but I still dont know how that could cause a full out crash ... any suggestions?
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 2:46:06 AM

Then try your Wi-Fi card in different PC, if the same crash appears then you can blame your WiFi card for all your trouble...
Score
September 26, 2010 2:54:49 AM

Ok, I'll try that, thanks for the help!
Score
September 27, 2010 5:19:51 PM

Best answer selected by mike8472.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 27, 2010 5:46:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!