Random crashes on 5770 gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike8472

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I just finished building my first computer :D (specs below) and now after a week of use, I notice it starts randomly crashing (maybe once every 2 days). It happens most after I minimize a game like Dirt 2 or Sims 3 and I'm browsing the web with Chrome. After a few minutes my keyboard freezes and my mouse isn't far behind, everything stops responding and I'm forced to restart my computer. The weird thing is, when I restart windows and load Chrome up again, all of my installed "Chrome Extensions" are gone. I've never had a problem like this before and have no idea how to troubleshoot it. ALL help is much appreciated! I have all latest drivers and Catalyst (10.9) Complete specs are ...

Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Phenom II x 4 955 3.2Ghz (Idle temps 27 C, the highest I've seen it is 48 C)
XFX HD Radeon 5770 1GB
MSI 890fxa-gd70
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ripjaw series
Antec Neo Eco 620W

Nothing has ever been overclocked (probably never will be either)

Solution
So, uninstall your driver, use Driver Sweeper on safe mode, re-boot and install older drivers like 10.3 or 10.4, that's the most stable driver for now...

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Yea, you try alt+entering games?
Minimizing and then bringing them back up isn't the best idea. If it's windows mode it doesn't struggle as much.

Driver issues are a normal problem with AMD as they release every month.

mike8472

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Ok, I uninstalled the driver and wiped it with driver sweeper (in safe mode) I restarted windows, and it crashed again (without any display drivers). But this time, it is consistently crashing when I try to attach pics to an email. It turns out these pics are from my Hitatchi 500GB portable external hard drive, and I think that is why its crashing. When I attach a pic from my internal drive, it works. Is my external HDD just dying? Or do I need a new driver or something?

mike8472

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Ok, its not the external HDD, I tested it and its all good. I tried attaching pictures from my Internal HDD again, and now that crashes too! I did some research, and one guy had the exact same problem, he replaced his modem and it was fixed. So maybe it's my cheap WiFi card :p but I still dont know how that could cause a full out crash ... any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.