Sign in with
Your question

Recommended gpu to compliment i7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 24, 2010 4:34:41 AM

Hello,
I am going to be building a new computer over the next few months... I am looking to get the i7 970 Bloomfield CPU, gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobo and I am looking for some recommendations for GPUs... I have always shorted myself on the graphics side and had to run low settings on my games. I am planning to go dual cards maybe 6 months down the road. So what I am planning to do initially is purchase a quality CPU now for the time being and then double it when the time comes.... any help?
September 24, 2010 4:38:21 AM

To add information about what I plan on doing.... I'm not a HUGE gamer, but I want the availability if a particular game arises. I'm currently playing Starcraft 2 with a deli-ma of my current computer which is a completely different story that I can't diagnose. I would like to be able max out if not get close by the time I have both cards installed. Any suggestions would help, also any links to some literature to read about would be great as well.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 24, 2010 4:53:19 AM

What, you can't just browse GPU articles yourself?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/Graphi...
http://www.guru3d.com

Anyway, I believe that currently Star Craft II doesn't much benefit from multiple GPUs. Then again, considering it's recommended GPU is a 3870 and you can max it out with a single 5850 so you don't really need multiple GPUs for it.

I say get a single Radeon 5870 or GTX 470. If you want the best bang for your buck then get a single GTX 460 1GB. A single card at default clocks may not let you max out all your games, but they overclock well and can come close to, if not overtake, reference clocked 470s and 5850s in some situations. Two 460s in SLI will definitely give you alot of performance. Whatever card(s) you go with just make sure your PSU can handle two of them.
m
l
September 24, 2010 5:25:50 AM

I too would recommend a 460 or a 470, especially if down the road you are planning on SLI'ing two cards. Personally, the 460 felt underpowered to me, but if your a casual gamer, it may be the perfect fit.
m
l
!