SSD performance increase margin while gaming/recording?

Artius86

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hello,

I've discovered from various threads across the internet that a SSD will only slightly improve gaming performance (except reduced loading times), which makes sense to me because I imagine most of the information used while gaming is stored in your VGA RAM and system RAM.

My question to you is how much of a performance increase will I see whilst gaming AND recording video (using FRAPS)? As of now I am running all of my games seamlessly at max settings but as soon as I start recording I see a noticable decrease in framerate. I would like to continue to use max settings while recording but am unsure if an SSD will help solve my problem.

I just put together my system a week ago and am yet to OC my processor (waiting on my liquid cooler). I am hoping to get my 3.3ghz up to 4.5ghz, will this increase solve my problem or would investing in an SSD be worthwhile?

My setup:

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
VGA: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature 2, 2GB 192-bit GDDR5
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

Thank you very much for any advice you can give me! :)

Solution
If you have a spare hdd you could install into your system you could run a test by having fraps record to the spare hdd. I should help some but I imagine the main problem is that you are processor bound with running the game and fraps. IMO a capture card and another hdd would be what you should look into.

popatim

Titan
If you have a spare hdd you could install into your system you could run a test by having fraps record to the spare hdd. I should help some but I imagine the main problem is that you are processor bound with running the game and fraps. IMO a capture card and another hdd would be what you should look into.

Solution